Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had heavy rains off and on today. Tonight about an hour and a half after sunset, I noticed a honeybee flying into the outdoor patio light I had just turned on. It was raining at the time. After reading on this forum about rare nighttime work on hives and "the guy with the flashlight is going to get stung', I am concerned about our use of our patio or pool at night. We have campfires, also. And, if the patio light is not on, the kitchen light right there probably will be. This is a 1/4 acre lot.

Will we not have the same use of our backyard at night? I'm a little worried. Our hive is in the backyard and the light will shine on it a little. We didn't know of a potential problem with that when we placed the hive there. Are these the guard bees or foragers? The entrance faces away from us and is near a fence. Anyone?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have 7 hives in front of my barn on both sides of the barn door and there is a street lamp right over the top of them,shining on the front of 2 hives and the back of the other 5.The bees dont seem to care in the least about the light.I must walk within 3 feet of the entrances 20 times a day(or night) and they dont really care.Sometimes I sit out there at night and watch the bees gather on the front porch in a big pile.I dont think I would worry much about a stray bee or 2 on the porch light.

·
Registered
574 Posts
They won't go after you just because there is a light on. A few may be drawn to the light however, and will buzz around it until they eventually run out of energy and die. Don't worry about it though, as they will be replaced by 1-2 thousand newly emerged bees the next day.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Never fails, with a couple of hives sitting on the driveway, when it's dark and the garage door opens, the light inside the garage attracts a couple of bees. Never had and issue with the bees being aggressive, but I have been that guy in the beeyard at night with the flashlight that got stung. I use a red LED flashlight now when I have to check on the bees at night, have never had an problem since, and I have gotten right in their faces with it.

C2

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Don't worry about it! You may get a few buzzing around the lights at night but they won't bother you, they'll stay right at the light. I had 3 cell builder hives on my back patio for over a year and nobody ever got stung, except me when I worked the hives. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts