Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I conducted an inspection on my two hives on Friday and added some empty bars between brood comb. Since then, the bees have been grouping in large numbers outside of the hives. The temperature has ranged from 45 in the morning to mid 70s during the day.

I will attach a photograph. Anyone have any ideas on why?

Thanks,

Bill

Bees  (1 of 1)-2.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not see the queen on this inspection but did the week before. She looked well. The breed pattern is good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Different observation. The photograph above is of my Carniolian bees. I have a hive of Italian bees on the other side of the house. The traffic flow appears to be between these two hives. Is there a possibility that the Italians are robbing the Carniolians? Both have syrup and pollen cakes in their hives (being drained quickly). The weather is warming up and many things are in bloom here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thinking figured it out. The Italians are robbing the Carnies. That is why there are so many bees on the side. The Carnies are trying to defend themselves. I reduced the entrance-less space to defend and then smoked both hives so both bees feel they need to defend their hives. I have filled up the syrup in the Italian hives and removed the ones in the Carnies.... they were not drinking it until yesterday; which is when the problem arose and made me think they were being robbed..

Bill

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bendbill, this is fascinating sleuthing on your part. I'm very impressed! I'm not quite understanding why one hive would rob from the other if both were being fed though. One of life's many mysteries i suppose ... :)

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Bendbill, this is fascinating sleuthing on your part. I'm very impressed! I'm not quite understanding why one hive would rob from the other if both were being fed though. One of life's many mysteries i suppose ... :)

Keep us posted!
Some bees are just robby. I believe Italians are one of those breeds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will let you know how things progress. My buddy, in town, has the same thing going on. We are both removing the syrup from the Carnies; which we were going to do any way as they are not using. We both reduced the entrance to our Carnie hives and will check to see what occurs. One piece of evidence is that as the above picture occurred, the Carnies' syrup went from being untouched to draining and the Italians' went from draining fast to much more slowly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts