Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year we put nothing on our vegetable garden for fear of hurting our bees. Needless to say, it got destroyed by insect pests. What do you all use in your gardens as a pest repellent?

·
Registered
345 Posts
For chewing pest, find some treatment with Spinosad, Spray in evening after bees are gone, harmless to them when it dries. Clay powder also works (forgot the current term).

This will sound weird, but I use a torch for squash beetles if I missed culling egg patches, real quick across the bugs as to not scorch it bad (some leaves will brown) they have a hard time with no legs.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
bt works, and not spraying when blooming is wonderful, picking my hand can be entertaining for the whole family.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
This will sound weird, but I use a torch for squash beetles if I missed culling egg patches, real quick across the bugs as to not scorch it bad (some leaves will brown) they have a hard time with no legs.
I have used this method also for squash beetles.

Could you use some sort of drowning trap?

Any idea what insects are getting your plants? If you know the specific insect types it may make it easier to help find bee safe solutions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts