Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Do you think there is a market for a bee frame freezer. Think langstrath long size in a table top size.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,547 Posts
what would be the cost? for me I can get one at walmart when on sale for couple hundred bucks. Medium chest size. what may be nice is a wire rack to hold the frames. deep and medium size. that would be stackable, and fit in a chest type freezer. Same type you find in closet kits. or even a wood based rack. I lean mine on one side working across, they fall over and "decap" some cells then get drippy. Drawers in an upright maybe, would work.
Removable stackable something would allow a cheap freezer, and use for something else if the need arises.

Great idea not sure how to make it into a product that works. A) not many keepers per 1000 population, And B) many of those do not keep the frames to reuse. so the market IMO is small. But I am guessing, and have no actual data.

GG

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Elmer & GG,
Thank you both for your replies. It was just an idea that popped in my head during a bee chat. Looks like I'm trying to fill a need that doesn't need filling.
Thanks again,
Joe

·
Registered
468 Posts
Perhaps there would be a market for things to go IN a freezer, like adjustable racks for holding lots of frames. I just stack them up on end (I have a chest freezer) and I break a lot of comb digging them out when they are frozen/brittle.

Also, this might be a bit out there, but there are lots of large bee keepers who literally store the entire live hives in walk-in freezers to make sure that they don't become active on warm days and starve/break cluster (and fail to reform cluster) over the winter. Maybe an individual hive-cooler to keep them in cluster for the entire winter would be something to look into!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,547 Posts
Elmer & GG,
Thank you both for your replies. It was just an idea that popped in my head during a bee chat. Looks like I'm trying to fill a need that doesn't need filling.
Thanks again,
Joe
No there is a need, just not sure how many you would be able to sell.
Many/most have done something.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I would imagine that most chest style freezers have fairly standard dimensions. A rack designed to hold frames to maximize the available space would probably have value to many of the hobbyist beekeepers.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
What I did before I started using BT was to place an excluder on a couple of cinder blocks (kept critters out). Pile the supers on then place a box fan on top. The air blowing down through the supers kept the wax moths out. (They don’t like light or a breeze).
Worked for me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts