Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 birdbaths in my yard that the bees like to go to for their water. About a month ago I noticed a bee antagonizing the other bees who were trying to drink. I wondered why she would be doing that, but I just let it go. This afternoon I noticed a bit of a ruckus at the birdbath and I noticed about 10 bees trying to drink, and one bee kept trying to fight the others. She would grab one by the leg and try to drag it off, then when it flew away she would jump on another and knocked her into the water, then she jumped on another and was wrestling her, and she just kept at it. I finally killed her, but it made me wonder why she would be that way. There was plenty of water there. What's with the attitude?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Bees will defend what they see as their water source as well as attempting to run other bees away from a nectar source (flowers). I too have killed a bee that was harassing other bees at a communal water source in my bee yard. Why should I allow one selfish bee to deny others free access to water?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Not that one needs to point out the obvious, but this kind of natural behavior is occuring all over your bees' foraging range. Your girls are engaging in countless little dramas everyday that you can't begin to imagine. To control it all, you'ld be out there killing all day.

So much for bee hugging. :D

Wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts