Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What a great day the bees are taking in syrup and pollen sub :applause: It's like a dream come true.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Good! And I see you are using a chicken waterer for your syrup, I was thinking the same, do fox or skunk bother it any?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have used the same feeder with good results -but it needs to be modified. I place a piece of screen wire over the hole that lets the sugar water into the bowl. If no wire, when the feeder is empty, the bees will crawl through the hole into the inside of the feeder and die. I also place about 8 rocks in the feeder trough to keep the bees out of the syrup.
Charlie

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the chicken waterer as well. I buy the half round sponges from Fleet Farm in the horse area. They are flat on one side round on the other side and flat on top and bottom. I slice them into 1" thick pieces so I have multiple half round pieces. Then I cut the center area out by cutting about an inch away from the outer round edge of the sponge so I end up with horse shoe shaped pieces 1" x1". What's left is a smaller half round piece that I use for cleaning. Two horse shoe piece fits perfect into the trough of the gallon waterer. The syrup soaks into the sponge. The bees land on the sponge and eat from the edges or they can draw it up right from the sponge. I rarely lose a bee.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have used the same feeder with good results -but it needs to be modified. I place a piece of screen wire over the hole that lets the sugar water into the bowl. If no wire, when the feeder is empty, the bees will crawl through the hole into the inside of the feeder and die. I also place about 8 rocks in the feeder trough to keep the bees out of the syrup.
Charlie
If you cold look close you would see there is wire by over the hole and the whole way around the feeder I never get drowned bees . My bees are sucking down a feeder full{gal.} in little over a hour.
And no skunk or fox problems just happy bees .:D
This shoot you can see the wire.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've used similar feeders for syrup. I take a thick piece of cheap nylon rope and cut it to fit the trough - that worked very well to prevent drowning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts