Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a few stats without much luck that I'd like to add to a class curriculum I'm co-sponsoring.

Generally, how many deep frames will a 3lb package cover - assuming they are already drawn out? What about not drawn out foundation? (since bees usually cluster when drawing comb)

I've heard that one full deep of brood will emerge to cover 3 frames with bees. True?

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
This depends on temperature, and the state of the comb, ie, drawn, foundation, or what.

But let's say you got a box of brood ready comb and good temperatures, you could expect a 3 pound package to use most of the box but probably not all straight off.

By one full deep you mean one full deep frame? If so yes, a totally full of brood frame will cover, in theory, 3 frames when they hatch but again it depends on temperature and such, and we would be talking a completely full frame of brood. It's also a little theoretical, ie, 2 brood frames would cover 6 frames easier than 1 frame would cover 3 frames just down to dynamics how bees cluster and work.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By "box" do you refer to a 10 frame deep? Our day temps will be in the 70s starting this week so we can assume that's our temperature for this discussion.

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
Yes 10 frame deep. A temperature in the low 80's would be better for them to comfortably spread around, but in the 70's will certainly allow them to have good freedom to spread around to a good extent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts