Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the plastic one that fits the innercover hole. How long does it take for the super to be beefree. I put one on two days ago and still have bees.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Russell - I will be interested in the replies to your question as I had no luck with that type of escape. Don't remember now how long I left it on before I gave up but it was longer than a few days. Ended up blowing them out with a leaf blower. But they sell them so presumably some beekeepers have good luck with them.

Because I am a hobby beekeeper with only 3 hives, I invested in the triangular escape boards and now get the bees out in a day or two.

One mistake I made once with the triangular escape board was to overlook that my inside cover had an unscreened hole. This meant that the bees left out the bottom and promptly went back in at the top. Now I am careful to be sure the inside cover blocks bees.

As you probably know already, bees will not leave a frame that has brood on it. Sometimes there may be a little bit of brood on a frame or two that is easy to overlook. Sometimes if you go by weight of the box and by pulling less than all of the frames for checking before you put the escape on, you may miss brood and thus fail to empty the box. Susan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply when I put the bee escape on it was full of bees but now quite less so it must be working. I will just have to wait and see. I didn't go through the super (medium super) very good but didn't see brood and most of the combs were sealed with capped honey. I just started with two packages with undrawn foundation. One hive swarmed as I was out in the garden and saw it.Never did find it. The one that swarmed is filled with horny on the top brood box and the bottom is fill with brood.I have a super above it but no foundation being drawn. Now with the other my idea was to take the super off this strong hive and add another brood box to draw more foundation and maybe even fill it some.What I wanted do is to get more combs for maybe other packages next year.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We've used both the plastic and home-made double triangle (Quebec) escapes, and the results are variable (big help, huh?) We've had both work overnight leaving only a couple of stragglers, and we've also left them on for two days and still had over a dozen. But that's a fairly manageable number, and you usually can just bounce them out of the super. Generally the triangular escapes are more effective, and I know some folks use two of the plastic ones to speed up the process. Personally, we like using escapes over products like Bee-Go.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A lot of us in the south dont use them any more because the shbs can get in with out the bee stopping them we use the beeQuick or bee go,I use two fume boards,and moveone ahead as I work one ,Imove it ahead it work welland I can go through about 30 hives a day and I look at every frame for wax mouths and shb larve, I dont want them in my honey house. good luck rock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts