Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a super on about a month ago and noticed it was getting full so I put an empty super on top of that. Checked it this weekend and the first super is completely full so I'm going to harvest it. I took my bee escape and switched places with the two supers and placed the escape between the two. Checked it again today and the top super is now empty of bees but I'm not going to be able to extract that super until this weekend.

Any issues with leaving the super on until then?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If there are no bees in the super with your honey ants, moths and SHB will be in there shortly. I would remove the escape until you are ready to extract and then do it all at one time. It would be a shame to have your honey destroyed by these pest!:doh:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
In oregon ? You are planning to extract in 5 days .....Nothing is going to destroy your honey crop in 5 days except possibly a bear. In 5 weeks maybe. But not to worry about 5 days.

Fuzzy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fuzzy,

I kinda thought that also. I've been checking it daily and don't see anything in there but what looks to be a few "guard dog" bees. I'm renting an extractor on Sat. so I'll get it all cleared out then.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am not sure about Oregon but in Georgia I never under estimate a hive beetle or a wax moth. The larva just seems to appear when no bees or a few bees are in a super. It doesn't take long at all for them to cause damage to comb and honey especially at this time of year. I hope all goes well with your honey harvest! Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts