Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on extracting honey tomorrow, I put the plastic bee escapes on the inner cover and put it below the supers I plan on extracting. I blocked off the ventalation opening in the inner cover to stop the bees from coming and going through that hole. My question is, is it going to be a problem that I closed the ventalation hole off in the inner cover, will the bees find the way out, im concerned with the supers packed with bees and the bee escape being the only way out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds right to me. They will find their way out. Morning will find less residual bees up top than afternoon. Lots of approaches to removing honey from supers. Check the site or net for one that suits your needs.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My experience is that the Porter bee escape will often get jammed up with either a drone or a worker bee that gets stuck and dies in the passage way. This stops the flow of bees out of the honey super unless you have incorporated multiple Porter bee escapes into the inner cover. I have always had great success with the triangular or Vortex bee escape as MB suggests. I have increased the efficiency of the standard triangular bee escape by securing four 3/8 X 3/4 inch strips from each of the four corners to the central hole on the IC. That way the escaping bees in the upper honey super are "routed" directly to the exit hole. 99.9% of the bees are gone overnight.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts