Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 hives, 2 packages I installed May 2 and one swarm caught the end of July.I fed all 3 hives 2:1 from Aug 1 -Nov 1. Started Mountain Camp Dry sugar feedind on Dec 12. When I checked today one hive had not touched the sugar but I noticed the paper was very damp to wet another hive was eating sugar good but also with damp paper is this NORMAL?

The last hive the swarm had a lot of brown droppings in the snow wet droppings like diarrhea when I opened to check on them I found they are taking the sugar great but then really noticed the diarrhea on the sugar and on the paper. What could be wrong and what can I do now? I have not treated them in the fall for diseases. My set up on the hives are a 3 " box for dry sugar,Inner Cover has a notch for ventilation, 1/2'' homosote and 1"foam under the outter cover.

Any help is appreciated.
John

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would change out the paper and sugar with new. You don't want them eating fouled sugar. You may have fed syrup too late in the season for them to process and cap it. This can cause the runs. Try to do your syrup feeding earlier in the next years. I try not to feed syrup much past the first of Oct. in my area. Nov. starts to turn cold enough to keep them indoors more days than not. Usually.
I haven't used the Mountain Camp Dry sugar feeding so I can't comment on how wet the paper will get and be normal.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
It's absolutely normal. You want the sugar to absorb the moisture, naturally the newspaper will get wet too. The bees chew out the newspaper, not eat it. It has done its job of holding the sugar until it could solidify.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts