1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have the email saved. One of our members father builds beeline boxes. I plan on purchasing one at some point.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Put some honey in a pie pan where bees can get at it. Come back in a half hour or an hour and follow the line of bees returning to their hive.

Or if you have a winter deadout with honey stores remaining, put some frames out where bees can get at them, and follow the bees back home.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pics, that's pretty cool. How long did it take from start to finish?

Would be neat if someone had an edited video of their hunt.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GASteve, from what I have read they prefer spotting at water sources because unlike a food source the bee will land in the exactly same spot at the water source everytime.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Might start from a water source, but you still have to track the bees. Would need a food source to lure them once you left the water source. Once bees find a water source they rarely leave it. Don't think they would stop for a splash of water on the way to the water source because they wanted to take a dip.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone reading this thread been on a bee hunt and wind up at someones hive stand?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
My grandfather taught me this way:

First, he advocated hunting in the fall, as it is easier then to get a lot of bees focused on a small amount of sugar when the flowers are pretty much finished. Start early in the day in order to have time to carry it through to finding the hive.

Materials:

A drinking glass,
a dark cloth or hanky.
A stool or similar object to use as a stand - must be lightweight.
A slice of bread or honeycomb - wet with sugar water.

Method:

Set stool up in an open area where you will begin.

Next, take your sweet bread or comb and drinking glass and find a bee which is out looking for food. Capture her between the glass and sweetbread or comb. Return to the stool and set the captured be on the stool - so the sweetbread is down and the glass is still on top - holding the bee inside. She'll be mad and trying to escape.

Put the dark cloth or hanky over the glass. Bees don't like to fly in the dark, so she'll settle right down, and discover the sweet sugar - she'll soon begin to fill up. You can hear that she's settled and slowly remove the cloth.

Once she's clearly filling up and calm, you can carefully remove the glass; careful not to upset her. (note, you may have to try a couple of bees - but it usually works first try).

When she's ready, she'll lift off and circle and make a beeline for home. Now here's the great part of doing this in the fall - WAY too many bees will return with her to take care of the sugar, as there isn't much out there for them to gather. As a result, you soon have a regular bee highway heading to and from the hive.

From there you pick up and move the stool steadily toward it. You have to be patient and not move too far too fast, as the bees keep adjusting to your new location.

I've done this a million times when I was a kid. I always thought it was the coolest thing ever, and would show anyone who would take the time to let me demonstrate. But I never found a wild swarm. There were too many beekeepers in the area my grandfather lived, so when I did this, I always got someone's bee to begin with and ended up finding apiaries. After a while, I could tell by the line whose bees they were :)

I was just a kid, but at that time, I felt sad that it seemed like there were no more bees left in the wild. Of course they were there somewhere, I imagine - just hard to find.

Adam

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'm not sure, but it seems like he advocated waiting to take the bees from the wild until spring - that way you knew you had strong bees, their numbers would be down, and they'd have the season to build up once you captured them.

But again, I may be wrong on that.

Adam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts