Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In my last inspection i remove the feeder, examined the frames one by one
and after several minutes i looked into the nuc and saw between the last frame and the nuc narrow wall a chain of bees (10-12 bees), holding each other in a bridge shape.

Is there any meaninig to this behavior ?

Thanks alot
Randi

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Is there any meaninig to this behavior ?

It is called festooning and it is how they cluster in a swarm, how they cluster to build comb and how they cluster in the cold and how they cluster anytime they have nothing to do and no comb to be on.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Maybe they are scofflaw bees, and were condemned to serve time on the "chain gang?" :lpf:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tom,

Can you comment further on your statement of them holding hands and being queen right?

We recently lost our queen, and ordered a new one. We installed her and after 2.5-3 days they had released her. We found her released during our last check, we also noticed a fair amount of festooning in the lower brood box where we released her. Does this mean they she's in good shape and working?

We'd planned on opening the box one more time next week to ensure that there are eggs/larva in the cells.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hi Heather

Yes it is a sign that all is well in the queendom. With newly introduced queens less opening & disturbance is good until her brood starts hatching. Observe the entrance rather than the combs for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts