Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I captured some bees yesterday that had swarmed into a bunch of old comb in a ceiling. They had built a few square inches of new comb (which had viable eggs) on the bottom of the old comb. From the landowners description, the previous bees were removed last year and he was pretty sure they had been sprayed. However, it was very evident that the bees I was looking at had only been in place for a few days give or take. The landowner verified that was in fact the case.

I didn’t salvage ANY of the comb since I knew it had been sprayed last year. I did find the queen and installed the bees in a hive box with foundation and one drawn frame I had laying around.

Good call? Bad call? Want your thoughts on my decision. My thought was that if the bees were suffering from the poison residue, they wouldn’t be doing well, and she wouldn’t be laying eggs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
They were removed and sprayed:scratch: Obviously someone didn’t remove the old wax & fill the cavity. Great call on ditching the old comb., did you remove it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts