Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to an article I just found on Google News, the USDA has a hive-cam and it isn't exactly going viral.

http://www.thewire.com/national/201...m-is-the-least-cute-animal-cam-around/371068/

The webcam link is here: http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=usdabees

"Don't get us wrong, bees are great, really. They are important for our agricultural ecosystem and economy, and also they make honey, which we love. But it's not actually all that much fun to watch bees. Because they are bees. "

WHAT are they talking about? My wife and I get a real kick out of watching our bees. I have one of my telescopes set up with 45x magnification so we can watch them from the porch. My hard drive is getting filled up with pics and videos. And compared to what's on television? Give me bees and an aquarium any time. Life is too short to watch "Pawn Stars".

My wife notices little things like a couple of the girls landing on the back of the hive where they think they are alone, and giving each other a lick-down. And every now and then somebody apparently blows a whistle and they all head outside for some exercise ... that looks like a good time to be using the telescope instead of standing there bending over the entrance.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Both are neat links. Thanks for sharing them.

The only thing that would improve it is audio. I love to watch and listen to my bees.

Hey, I'm retired, I have plenty of time. :)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We got ours on 5/7, and should be doing our first deep inspection on Sunday. The new queen's brood should be emerging.

I don't know how much of this we would post publicly, but photos and high-def video are all part of the fun for me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
brushy mountain also just started an in-the-hive beecam. (sorry no link ability).
Radar, perhaps you could post a message about how to do links (again?).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts