Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bees bringing in pollen in Northern VA today. I see pale yellow and an orangish-yellow pollen, but haven't noticed anything blooming yet. What could it be?

Pollen_Feb 14.jpg

Bee taking a shortcut.jpg

·
Registered
641 Posts
My bees are also bringing in pollen and nectar, the nectar is a guess because I have many bees returning without pollen! Here plums, peaches, weeds and such are blooming, WA_HOO! we are at 86 degrees and sunny!

·
Registered
7 Posts
saw bees in the hive yesterday with engorged pollen sacks-- a pale green. Don't know if its pollen or their just swollen for some reason.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
maples in Virginia. possibly some elm.
I hadn't noticed the maples or elms popping at the house, but the bee yard is about 10 miles south in a slightly different microclimate. That said, I see buds on practically everything and do need new glasses! :)

Lucky dogs!!!
Sorry to rub it in for you more Northern folks. Hope you get your turn after this next (and please be final) cold snap.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
My bees are also bringing in pollen and nectar, the nectar is a guess because I have many bees returning without pollen! Here plums, peaches, weeds and such are blooming, WA_HOO! we are at 86 degrees and sunny!
OMG...86 and sunny...just a dream!

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
the pale yellow is maple I believe, loads of it here too. Curious to now the source of the orange/red looking pollen, much more resinous and scarce

·
Registered
421 Posts
some maples are blooming here in Roanoke VA -- some not yet.
Look for the red tinge in the treetop or watch one for bees.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Our bees were bringing in the same color pollen today. And lots of it. Very possibly silver maple. Although the one in my yard was not in full bloom, it is very possible that others in flying range are in bloom. They could have been working blooms in the top of the tree not visible below.

Another possibility is one of the elms.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Hey Rudy, my girls were bringing in tons (OK, maybe that is a bit of exaggeration) of the same pale yellow greenish pollen. Had to remove the reducer off the swarm hive TB since it was causing a bunch of it to drop to the ground. As soon as I did they started house cleaning as well.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
There is a willow not 100 yards from my backyard. I'll check it tomorrow morning.
Please do Shannon,

There are some pussy willows in flying distance. But it would not be practical for me to check them. The are a few native willows in our yard. The native willows bloom out in March/April if I remember right.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My bees were out at 45 from one hive real strong. I went and took a look and it was some red pollen coming in. Thanks Dawsong, I thought it was curious but Maple may make sense, I should have looked at some rather than fixing my road (would have not felt so stiff now).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts