Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I would like to show off a new machine designed to manufacture Bee Boxes.

I am the manufacturer, so if the powers that be...decide that I should be in another forum or such, please redirect me.

To introduce myself, My company is Woodman Engineering in Redding Ca. My main goal in life is to design and build automated production machinery.

A local bee keeper mentioned that they wanted something better than what they had. I had been wanting to build a machine for some time, to machine the box joint, rack shelf (3/8 rabet), and Scalloped hand hold from pre sized box panels.

Our first machine has been running for just under a year. Running as needed, has produced about 30,000 Boxes.

Daily production can be as high as 1000 boxes per day. Future goals are to be at 1400 to 1500 BOXES per 8 hour shift.

I can be reached at [email protected] or 530-243-8753

I have pictures, and some video to share if requested. Can I post pictures here?

Thanks, Hank Bosman

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I would like to see that. You can post pictures here or link to where they are posted. One of my students installs signs and ATM machines. He made a set of computer controlled table saws that cut everything. Now his garage is full of hives, frames and extracting equipment. A year ago he had not seen a beehive.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Picture and video are both ok, just upload them to any photo hosting site and place a link here. I too would like to see you machine.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
NICE but I bet its cost is way outa my league

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I have seen that machine. I would kill to have it to restore.

The best thing about my machine is that the panels are held square and true while being cut at both ends at once. It does not rely on the precut dimension of the panels for the depth of the box joint fingers. Hence the interior dimensions are going to be true and to size.

This most defiantly is a high production machine made for the producers of bee boxes that make them 24/7.

The operator just needs to fill the hopper and the machine will continue to run. One man is being used to run the machine, at a reduced rate.

Hank

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Ron,
Well you finally get to see the machine. Glad to see you approve. How many do you want?
HB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We use two 7 1/2 HP motors for the dado heads, two 3 hp motors for the rabbet and hand hold. Plus there is a small DC motor to move the rabbet cutter.

The load on the dado heads while they are cutting is so close to idle draw that we could use 5 hp motors.

The machine is controlled by a logic computer to sequence the operations and maintain correct cycling of the componants. Hey...Its just fun to watch do its thing.

Thanks, Hank

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wow that's a great looking machine. The biggest one I ever used was an old ammunition box machine, huge casting with two vertical arbors which cut the finger joints and slightly trimmed to length. The carriage would hold twenty pieces at once. Made a HECK of a lot more noise than yours. Looks like the dust collection is well set up too that's a lot of chips from the joints rabbet and handhold. I counted about 5 seconds for the piece so 1000 per day is not undoable. Thanks for showing your machine you have a lot of R & D in it I think.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts