Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
"The Buzz about Bees" is an interesting book with a lot of very nice pictures. I don't think the audience was beekeepers. It is not really a book about bee biology, more like a book of interesting things about bees. The criteria for what is in the book is based more on how interesting it is than how practical it is. It is certainly an enjoyable book and you may learn some very interesting things and the photos are great. For beekeeping though, I like Mark Winston's book a lot, "The Biology of the Honey Bee". Much more practical information for a beekeeper in Mark's book. Not nearly as flashy and not as many cool facts as "The Buzz about Bees" but some solid information.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys just the info I was looking for. I am a high school Biology teacher so I am looking for some good science. But I like pictures too! :thumbsup:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I think if your goal is to take some people who know nothing about bees, and show them how interesting bees are, some fascinating facts about them, a different view of them (the superorganism) and some awesome pictures, then it's hard to beat "The Buzz about Bees". If you want to learn to be a better beekeeper or understand the exact structure of their digestive system or their stinger, Mark's book is better. In this MTV generation that wants a scene change every second on TV, the flashiness of "The Buzz about Bees" may pay off more...

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I liked the book very much...however when I read his stated facts I don't always get the feeling that what he is stating is well established. Lots of good stuff but I wouldn't assume that every fact and number is accurate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts