Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi we are new to beekeeping, so sorry if my questions are lame. We have 2 hives, the one is doing great. The other the queen disappeared so we requeened. But we were wondering what does it mean when bees in the frames hang on together like ropes? So when we do our inspection there is a line or rope of bees hanging off of the others that are on the frame, the rope of bees is sometimes a foot to a foot and a half long. Just curious if it is normal behavior or a sign of something I should be doing, Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I see that all the time in my hives too. Its quite fascinating seeing them "festoon" off of frames like that. They do this when they are building comb, but the reason as to 'why' they festoon when building comb is largely unknown to me and the books I have read. Are they measuring bee space? Are they using this chain to build a scaffold to collect secreted wax?

Either way, normal behavior and fun to watch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for letting us know. Our other hive doesn't do that they are just busy building and laying. But this hive they had the queen problem. And it was interesting when they didn't have a queen all the bees just hung out around the sugar water. And were totally disorganized it was like it was a party all the time. They are interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts