Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps some of you "Experienced" bee keepers can help newbie's in some of the behaviors, what can help in understanding, what's really going on in the hive. [Please post if you know of any]

Here is something I'm not sure of what's going on, very late in the season, and we have unusual
temperature,...from 0 to to 40 F yesterday...and the bees are eating apple.
What does that mean?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c97/fruitnut_/Honeybee/bee3.jpg

Are they having brood, feeding?
Are they eating it for themselves?
Are they just bored and playing with it?
Are they stashing it away?
What do you think it's used for.
Konrad

·
Registered
760 Posts
It's probably just the only sweet available this time of year. On warmer days during the winter bees will fly and will take advantage for any sweet pollen like substance (dust from a bird feeder, grain fed to animals, etc.). It likely doesn't add much to their diet, or generate any surplus to store but they will eat/use what they can. It doesn't really indicate brood rearing.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Bees have been known to collect sawdust. My stepson got a real surprise when he tried to smash the popcans for recycling. That sweet syrup was the only sugar they could get at the time. Are these apples the only source of sugar? It would not surprise me if they could make honey out of apple juice. So they could bee eating or stashing. (Bees don't get bored)

Hawk

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all!
>>Are these apples the only source of sugar?

Yes, I put some there a few weeks ago just to see if they go for it.
But only after the apple froze and got soft they seem to like it.

>>You can't be serious, of course they're making applejack for New Years!

:D :D
Konrad

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a cousin that in addition to being a beekeeper runs a hotdog stand where he sells cotton candy. At the end of the day, he brings the cotton candy home and puts it near the hives. He gets alot of pink honey. . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts