Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone cultivating Bee Bee trees?

I am considering getting some seeds to propagate. Long term plan to Grow these for dearth period remediation. Might actually help gain a fall honey harvest in Michigan. Generally I do not harvest Fall or late summer Honey because there simply isn't enough stores for over-Wintering.

Also planning on harvesting honey clover seeds this Fall. Purchasing the seeds is on the expensive side but seeing that they grow in plethora in some areas and because it looks fairly easy to harvest the seeds.......

Am working on a plan for a future apiary site. Probably will be 2 or more years before the bees are moved there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought some seeds online. It was obvious they hadn't been stratified when I opened the package because they were still in the seed pods. I followed the instructions for half and tried stratifying the other half before planting them. None of either group grew. Good luck, you are going to need it. I'd like to find some actual trees for sale, but haven't been able to get any yet.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to do a little asking around before ordering seeds. I saw somewhere that a 23% germination rate is considered average. I do know where one tree grows so I may ask them if they collect seeds from it.

Regardless I plan on sticking them in the freezer for a while before attempting to germinate. May get a new building this summer. My son wants a sauna, so he tore down my old chicken coop. The plan is to build a new building with a second story greenhouse. Sauna and garden tool storage underneath. It may not leave enough time for starting the trees this year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts