1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
A few weeks. Did you stratify them?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
What is your stratify method? I did overnight soak, boiling water for an hour and baggy/paper/ potting soil towel all with same non-result at as much as 6 weeks. In the refrig now. How warm does it have to be? All failures at 70 degrees.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Boiling water for an hour might/probably cooks them dead.

1. mix them with slightly moist sand, place in a baggie in the refrigerator for 4 weeks, or
2. roll them up in slightly wet paper towel, place in a baggie in the refrigerator for 4 weeks

I think the seeds have a very short shelf life. Make sure you have last year's seed. Plant in a two foot deep box. They will grow 2'+ tall. Dig up next winter when they go dormant. DO NOT PLANT IN ANYTHING SMALLER. Bee bee trees hate small pots and will not thrive.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Thank you. high of 38 today. Snow coming for Monday night. Think I need to wait. ( poured on hot water and set for an hour in a dish. I trust u tubers)

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
You trust YouTubers but not a 17 year BeeSource veteran poster who for years sold bareroot BeeBee trees in Beesource?
Good luck with that.

Thank you. high of 38 today. Snow coming for Monday night. Think I need to wait. ( poured on hot water and set for an hour in a dish. I trust u tubers)

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,884 Posts
Ollie, I think Saltybee is yanking your chain. Keep in mind, he is not the OP.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,884 Posts
More like admitting the truth.
You actually poured boiling water on seeds you intended to plant and not eat?

And you learned this on u tube? Please post the link. I have got to see this!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have had my seeds in peat pellets for about 5 to 6 weeks now. I was beginning to think that they would not sprout. It rained quite a bit last week and the tray would get full of water. As I was pouring the water off I noticed one of the seeds had eroded out of the pellet with all the water but it had begun to sprout. A tiny green chute protruding downward.

Assuming they make it to a permanent transplant... how long do bee bee trees take to bloom beneficially and about when would they bloom in Tennessee?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
When I got my first bunch of seeds I got some peat moss and wet it. I squeezed as much water out of it as I could before mixing the seeds into it. Then I put the mix in a baggie and put it in the back of the refrigerator where I promptly forgot about them for over a year.
When my wife asked/told me to get this stuff out of the frige I prepared some pots with dirt and sprinkled a bit of the mi on top of each one. About two weeks later I had emerging plants.
I can't answer your question about growth or blooming because mine are still quite small due to the fact the rabbits seem to consider them a delicacy.

Good luck with yours.
Alex

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I got my first bunch of seeds I got some peat moss and wet it. I squeezed as much water out of it as I could before mixing the seeds into it. Then I put the mix in a baggie and put it in the back of the refrigerator where I promptly forgot about them for over a year.
When my wife asked/told me to get this stuff out of the frige I prepared some pots with dirt and sprinkled a bit of the mi on top of each one. About two weeks later I had emerging plants.
I can't answer your question about growth or blooming because mine are still quite small due to the fact the rabbits seem to consider them a delicacy.

Good luck with yours.
Alex
This is encouraging, I will give them a few more weeks.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
You actually poured boiling water on seeds you intended to plant and not eat?

And you learned this on u tube? Please post the link. I have got to see this!
Yes, I did try it on some seeds. Standing on a pile of prior failures, why not. About the only method I have not tried is the sand scratch method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRjywUVLoDY at 2:45 beginning

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll second the stratification method. From experience trying to grow trees from seeds for nursery purposes, I can tell you some seeds require at least 4 weeks at low temperature before they will sprout. Also applies to best fruit set for some things, like apples and pears, they produce much better up north than down south. But for instance, I think I've got about 90% success using stratification for peaches and nectarine sprouting using damp sand and the butter drawer. I actually leave them in there until you can see some sprouts though the outside of the bags, then I pull them out and plant. Bingo!

Another problem with tree seeds is that because they take a long time to germinate, they are are suceptible to a mold/fungus called "damping off". Be sure you allow the media to get mostly dry (but not BONE dry) before re-watering your seeds. If they keep a soggy bottom, it feeds mold and rot. Sometimes germination can take 6 weeks, so be patient. Some also like a bottom heat pad to warm the soil afterward, but not mandatory. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts