Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local news article:

2 large bee hives linked to attack on man

A local beekeeper said Thursday that he found two of the largest hives he's ever seen in the area where an 85-year-old man was stung more than 500 times Wednesday near Waller and 13th streets in East Austin.

Walter Schumacher, part owner of Central Texas Bee Rescue and Preserve , said one hive had about 50,000 bees and the larger hive could have close to 1 million. Both hives were in hollowed-out tree trunks.

"The larger hive I found approximately 30 feet to the east of where the man was stung, and the second one was about 40 feet north of him," Schumacher said.

He said the bees are very aggressive because their space in the tree trunks is limited and they need more room. Schumacher said he was going to try to trap the bees and move them to a safe area.

The condition of the 85-year-old man was not known Thursday because authorities did not release his name.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
There was another one recently in Tn if I recall correctly where 2 dogs were stung to death...the bees were tested and found to NOT be africanized.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Walter Schumacher, part owner of Central Texas Bee Rescue and Preserve , said one hive had about 50,000 bees and the larger hive could have close to 1 million. Both hives were in hollowed-out tree trunks.

What would be the fee for removing and/or handling these bees? What would the city of Austin pay?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I recently removed two hives (one of which) was guilty of attacking the lady landowner and killing three of her Dacshund dogs. Unfortunately the dogs were in a fence kennel or leashed to a post and could not run away to escape the bees. Those bees are doing very well in my beeyard right now. A tractor/shredder set them off.

The news article was in the county paper, town of Afton, Spur Paper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts