Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first 2 packages 2009 and it's been crazy ever since I have 17000.00:eek: wrapped up in this addiction and won't get my cash back any time soon but I don't care .
It's feels so good to be part of my apiary and being the keeper.
I am so addicted I just can't make it back I guess it's a life long addiction .
I'm thinking there may be a intervention coming my way.
So any other bee junkies out there?
I need spring :eek:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Still cheaper than heroin. And you get more fresh air.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
It's not what you invest in it, it's what you get out of it. Intangibles.

I remember bemoaning not being able to get ahead w/ my bees. Always being on the edge and in debt. It takes a long time, but eventually, it happens. And in the mean time you live off of what you make even though it is hard to see how in the accounting.

$17,000.00? Might as well be $17.00 from where I sit. But I know it seems like a significant amount of money. And it is. I'd love to have it to spend. But you probably didn't spend it all at once, did you?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Admitting that you have a problem is the first step...

Now to solve the problem... get more bees! Problem solved and you're welcome!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not what you invest in it, it's what you get out of it.

$17,000.00? Might as well be $17.00 from where I sit. But I know it seems like a significant amount of money. And it is. I'd love to have it to spend. But you probably didn't spend it all at once, did you?
I agree I don't care about the money I was just saying it's like a addiction I don't care how much I spend as long as I get my fix.:banana:
I have spent that over the last 5 years so no it was not all at once .

·
Registered
92 Posts
If we weren't putting our money into this it would be somewhere else. The proof is in my arcade collection, 1969 Chevy c-10, motorcycle.... eh you get the idea.

I don't have much invested but I've been lucky enough to build all my own woodenware for 100% free. Then again, I'll be doubling my investment this year (ok at my current rate maybe tripling).

The addiction is strong, I have way too many books, I'm reading beesource posts at least 5x a day and I am have never been this excited for spring!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Addiction, I have no addiction---------I have to go and build some more hive bodies:
I spent 2 days building and built 2 deeps, 1 swallow with top and bottom board, 1 five frame nuc box and 5 swarm traps.... Addiction setting in..... I need the rain to stop so I can set my traps....

·
Registered
626 Posts
I must admit my BF is starting to give me a little grief for the time spent surfing on my smartphone ...he doesn't know it is mostly on beesource!

I am limited to 5 colonies by ordinance so my investment is small in comparison but I do have maybe a couple K into it. The enjoyment I get back has made it totally worth it.

Recently my BF and I decided we will combine households. His house is bigger so it will be logical for us to live there unless we sell both and find another. If I didn't already know beekeeping was an addiction for me, that one of my first priorities was to check the beekeeping ordinance for where his house is located would have made it clear. His ordinance allows the same as mine, 5 colonies per lot so I am good there. Different municipality almost right across the street has an ordinance so restrictive I wouldn't be able to keep bees. (You have to have a two acre lot and then it is only 3 colonies along with a bunch of location restrictions along with it.) If we look for "our" house it won't be THERE!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can think of nothing else but my bees. I am having to contain my enthusiasm, and not get too far ahead of myself and my learning curve!!! This is making it very difficult for me to get through my last year of my degree!!!! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Still cheaper than heroin. And you get more fresh air.
HA!!! I fully plan on stealing this one!

It is sooo nice to be around others that understand! I have a lot of folks telling me I am biting off more than I can chew. They may be correct, but I'd rather invest in my bees than anything else I can think of. Glock I find that it helps if you don't try to keep a record of what you are spending :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi My name is Snookie and I'm a Bee/ Honey Aholic :}

Honey and Peanut butter has caused havoc in my BP, Sugar Levels, and waistline :{

Can you folks help?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Total bee junky. I am second year and already experiencing the glaze over when I am updating my friends about the bees. What is the matter with them, it's fascinating?! Right?? I figured it was because I have no kids, but my beekeeper friend says she worries more about her bees than her kids. You know your obsession is bad when the other beekeepers you know start to glaze over when your talking to them. They seem to be satisfied with there hive/hives, I just want more.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You know It's bad when you see an old desk covered with snow in someone's yard and drag It home. Turns out It was made from mahogany ,I now have a mahogany swarm trap.:)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glock I find that it helps if you don't try to keep a record of what you are spending :)
Now if only my wife didn't handle the C.Card statements. But her horses cost nothing to have that's what she tells me .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts