Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live in west TN and noticed on Monday Feb 17 temps warmed up enough for bees to forage and was bringing in pollen and a nice smell coming from hive. Anybody gat any idea what's blooming in my area at this time? The pollen being brought in is a light colored if that helps.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm a little south from you, but the dandilions (yellow pollen) and henbit (red pollen) are blooming in our area now.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Elm and maple are most likely, since they are starting to bloom here. First day the bees can fly very far they will be hauling in maple pollen and nectar.

Peter

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Elm and maple are most likely, since they are starting to bloom here. First day the bees can fly very far they will be hauling in maple pollen and nectar.

Peter
NoMaple buds are starting to swell. Looks to be about average timing here. Checking out the hives today. The NOAA predicts above average temps during spring in the deep south, stopping around the ohio valley, average temps north.

·
Registered
685 Posts
No elm or maple here yet. Maple buds are starting to swell. Looks to be about average timing here. Checking out the hives today. The NOAA predicts above average temps during spring in the deep south, stopping around the ohio valley, average temps north.
Excellent. I'm over east in Chattanooga, and I could definitely use an early spring!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Up until a couple of days ago, the only pollen coming in was from Eastern Red Cedar here in Northwest Arkansas. Now Elm and Maple coming in as fast as they can haul it. No dandelion or henbit seems to be showing yet. Getting a little lemon yellow coming in that I think is probably willow from the nearby river banks.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I stand corrected. Massive amounts of pale yellow pollen coming in today, bee after bee with full bags. The yard was really alive. Definately know which hives I'll need to watch come spring to swarm, a few are massively strong. Maybe 2% of the pollen was a red/orange more resinous looking pollen, not big hauls, just tons of the pale yellow stuff.

Heres the NOAA Map. Could be a stellar year if we recieve above average rainfall in May, too much rain in april could be bad.

off01_temp.gif
off01_prcp.gif

·
Registered
202 Posts
Pale yellow, bright yellow and red pollen in the piedmont of NC. Maple, Henbit, not sure what the right yellow is. I cant see anything blooming with my eyes so don't know were it is coming from but they are bringing in loads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts