Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using three 5-frame nucs to make some queens in the backyard. My original purpose was to supply my Ulster observation hive for school. I just transferred my bees to the observation hive for a school presentation tomorrow. I have done this about 4 times the past 2 months. How much abuse will they take? I have a new marked queen that I started about 5 weeks ago and she seems to be laying well. I just hope that I don't hurt them by transferring once a week or so.

Mark

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
As long as you don't kill the queen in the process I wouldn't worry about anything.

·
Registered
96 Posts
mherdon,
I have a 3 frame (2 deeps, 1 medium) observation hive that I used at the farmer's market last year selling section honey. I alternated between the hives I used each week using about 6 hives total over around 10 weeks. I had good luck returning the queens to the hives except twice. One time the queen flew off and never came back. The other time her hive balled her. These were all well established hives and fully productive queens. The frames were removed at 5:45 AM and returned at 1:30 PM. This year I'm going to try keeping a queen and bees in the hive with an outside entrance I'll close off for market and a feeding jar to use at the market. Don't feel like taking the risk again. Was called on a real small swarm about a week ago that should work fine. She's laying and the rest are building comb in a nuc until I get the OB hive modified.
Good luck on your school presentation. Those are really fun!
Arvin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts