Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some young 20 foot tall golden cypress trees, I have wire baskets around them now, and was wanting to remove them. Will beaver cut them down? I read where they will knaw the bark, bud that suposely doesn' harm the trees. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
You might consider trapping the Beavers. This sounds pretty good.

Beaver "ATLANTA SPECIAL RECIPE"

1 beaver (8-10 lbs.)
1 bay leaf
2 med. onions
1-2 garlic cloves
Celery leaves - optional
Flour
Salt and pepper

Remove all fat from beaver. Cut up as you do rabbit. Soak overnight in salt water. Parboil until about half-cooked in water with the bay leaf, onions, and garlic. Celery may or may not be added. Drain, roll in flour and brown in hot fat, season with salt and pepper. Bake in covered pan in a moderate oven until tender. Gravy may be made from the drippings. Plan the same number of servings as from a similar weight of pork (8 oz. per serving). Beaver is very rich.

Link to others.

http://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/wildgamerecipes/wild_game_recipes_beaver_recipes.htm

·
Registered
568 Posts
They will be gnawing them down with a smile on there face thanking you for the easy meal! :D
The beavs don't care what size of tree it is, if it is a food source or can be used for dam building materials it is going down.
I have 30+ years as a nuisance beaver trapper and have trapped for the USFS and the state of WI both, and was thinking maybe we can make a deal?
I need a nice warm cozy place for my girls during the winter months and you can be eating beaver jerky for the next year. I will throw in the pelts so you can have nice warm beaver vest and mittens made up as well? :lpf:
Let me know if you are interested?
Thanks and keep the cages on till the beavs are history!
Mtn. Bee

·
Registered
447 Posts
Beaver's "prefer" birch, poplar,willow, cotton wood and the like. I have seen them chew on other including hedge 'yuck' when times are tough. I don't think the cypress will be first on the list of groceries. I have never seem them chose to eat a cedar or pine when other trees are avalible, but I have seen them remove a cedar that was in the way though. We don't have a lot of Cypress where I trap so I don't "know for a fact" that they wouldn't chew on them.

RKR

P.S. like Mtn Bee said keep the cages on until the beaver are gone, if you don't have someone deal with they now you will wish you had next fall, and there will be more of them to remove.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Do you have problems with beavers right now?

The beavers around here are opportunistic. They go for whatever tree is close to the water. I've seen beavers take out trees 10-12 inches in diameter, but usually prefer to go for ones <6 inches.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all, the Trinity River is only less than 1/4 mile from our private lake. I haven't seen to much activity lately, except knawed roots, and markings on trees next to the bank on the river side of the lake. I'll keep the wire cages around the trees. I have mature sweet gum, and oak trees down by the lake, they have no scars, and we have been there over 50-years.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Don't know their habits but I have seen them kill pines near their ponds and left them all standing. If the purpose was to promote growth of preferred trees or not I have no idea? They seem fairly intelligent but don't know how far that goes?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts