Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year, when apples start falling from our trees, bears come along and eat them, break apple trees, all the good stuff. Now that I have a bee hive which is about 100 feet from some apple trees, will the bears be a problem? If so my options are: have fish and game come trap it and haul it away, shoot it myself (maybe a .22 won't penetrate it's skin? High power pellet gun?), or would a ratchet strap keep the hive from falling apart and hopefully he will leave it alone? Thought? Thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
And that is why I have not put hives on my PA farm property. Even w/ the electric fence I don't trust it not randomly going down so I'm waiting until I move there to grow my apiary.

2 more years!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So... maybe put the hive by my window so I'll hear a bear, holler at it, if it doesn't bugger off shoot it, if so, have it trapped and relocated so I'm technically legal?

·
Registered
434 Posts
No, sorry. I'm waiting until I move there so I can check the voltage regularly, maintain vegetation so it doesn't short out, etc.

Look into a small electric fence/netting system. If you don't want to really figure it out, Betterbee sells a fence/netting kit I believe.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Think about how that bear breaks the apple tree branches, and pretend those branches are beehives, with about 100X higher food attractiveness than an apple tree.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Definitely would not shoot with a .22 or pellet gun. That would just piss it off.

+1 on the electric fence.
That was my first though too. A .22 is just gonna make him mad, and he might come for you.

I keep a 30-30 loaded up for bear, the .22 scoped rifle for squirrels and coyote further out, and several hand-cannons for the ones that dare to come close enough. I wouldn't use anything less than 30-30 for bear.

Shock fence is best though. Good strong one. If you know that a bear is coming 'round, bait the fence with tin-foil that has some peanut butter or tuna fish on it- he/she won't take too many licks of that before deciding that the fence is not fun.

Reactions: crofter

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
There's absolutely no need to kill a bear. Stop advocating that, in some state's it'll get you arrested with a massive fine.

It's the beekeeper's responsibility to take the necessary measures to prevent the bear from getting the hive, not to put out bear bait, and illegally kill an animal out of season.

A beehive is BAIR BAIT.

A hive WILL attract bears to the property.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There's absolutely no need to kill a bear. Stop advocating that, in some state's it'll get you arrested with a massive fine.
And in some states, it's legal, like here in ME.

You have to know your laws, no one has advised anyone to do anything that he knows is not legal. The discussion was not about legality, but the wisdom and effectiveness of doing it with a small caliber rimfire weapon.

I also advocated the use of a fence and charger. Why? Because even if it's legal to shoot the bear, because by the time you realize there is a problem present and requires immediate action against it there is probably a significant amount of damage already being done.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The question and response was predicated on an insufficient amount of cure, with the recognition that prevention was the preferred option.

Merry Xmas

·
Registered
56 Posts

It's the beekeeper's responsibility to take the necessary measures to prevent the bear from getting the hive, not to put out bear bait, and illegally kill an animal out of season.

A beehive is BAIR BAIT.

A hive WILL attract bears to the property.
Let me guess, ur vegetarian (pa, ta, tiss) lol jk dont come after im a nice guy
And in some states, it's legal, like here in ME.

You have to know your laws, no one has advised anyone to do anything that he knows is not legal. The discussion was not about legality, but the wisdom and effectiveness of doing it with a small caliber rimfire weapon.

I also advocated the use of a fence and charger. Why? Because even if it's legal to shoot the bear, because by the time you realize there is a problem present and requires immediate action against it there is probably a significant amount of damage already being done.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The question and response was predicated on an insufficient amount of cure, with the recognition that prevention was the preferred option.

Merry Xmas
What kind of bears do yall have? I live in the south so fortunate enough not to deal with that....we do have alligators tho lol (shouldnt be a problem)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What kind of bears do yall have? I live in the south so fortunate enough not to deal with that....we do have alligators tho lol (shouldnt be a problem)
We have black bear here in ME. Some folks think they taste good, I haven't tried it (yet). The moose and whitetail are delicious though. The Mrs.says that she can't stand the thought of eating such lovely creatures, but some of the meals that she has raved most about have been 'Bambi' and 'Bullwinkle' (shhhhhhh, don't tell her that).

There was one bear that was hanging around in the neighborhood, it destroyed a number of bird feeders just up the road, and spooked the horses of my neighbor across the road. I am surprised that it didn't find my hives. Maybe the dog keeps them off...or the wildcat that has been hanging around, I've only found his tracks but my neighbor has seen him leaving my land on two occasions. In following the local gossip, I think that last year the bear altered his/her range to a town slightly west.

I have had some encounters with gators down in FLA...I think I prefer the bears.

Reactions: SGBF2021

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
A small investment in an electric fence with a solar energizer is what you need if you want to keep bees. Yes, it's an investment for one hive, so why don't you do a split and make it worthwhile? Killing a bear for just doing what bears do is cruel and inhumane. It will also likely cause you to surrender a large amount of money to the state. Way more than a fence would cost. J

1 - 20 of 91 Posts