Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOST 2 HIVES TO A BLACK BEAR IN DEC. 2009
YOUR THOUGHTS ON HIVE PROTECTION, SHORT OF
THE ELECTRIC FENCE.
Thanks and BEE Happy, FRANK17

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Short of an electric fence, you could giva away your bees, or build a large bear proof structure, and place you hives inside with an entrance slot. Fence is only used because it works. NJ has quite a growing bear pop.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Short of a fence? - Well that only leaves move them..... unless you want to try the SSS method.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
you need to watch some of the forest service videos of bears tearing the doors off cars and clawing right through the side of a log cabin.you aint gonna keep out a determined bear.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You could always try lead poisoning. :scratch:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yea, bears may be fast but I've never seen one outrun high velocity lead.

At our local beekeeping meetings over the past few months I've heard conversations about bears taking out people's apiaries. One lost somewhere around 23 hives. Another woman lost several of hers. She put a few back together and he came back. It wasn't until another beek only 2 miles away (1 mile as the bee flies) got hit and lost 2 hives that got my attention. Only reason he didn't lose more was because he tried to poison him with some lead.

Needless to say I'm in the market for an electric fence now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can try surrounding the apiary with sheets of plywood or rugs loaded with nails sticking up but seems like a huge pain instead of a fence. What's wrong with using a fence?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Putting up my fence tomorrow. I got great advise from Massachusetts Wildlife Service. .5 jules minimum and space wires 6" part from 6" off ground to 4 feet.

I have a solar charger that is adjustable from .87 jules to 2.5 jules. ZAP!

Not electric means could be 6 foot chain link topped in razor wire. A hive pole. Your hive sets a top a large metal slippery pole. Good luck inspecting that! On top of a flat roof?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you think you are "protecting" the bears by not using an electric fence, please think again. I can tell you first hand that any bear you can get to move along is more likely to live. Once habituated, it is just a matter of time before a bear needs to be destroyed. Do everyone a favor and shock the bear for thier own safety.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You could mount your hives on top of a steel light pole an by a 30 foot articulating boom to work your hives from.

Get an electric fence. It will cost less than the two colonies cost you with equipment. If you have a hammer, a wrench to tighten ground to ground rod, a pair of good scissors, and a pliers to cut copper ground wire, you got everything you need to put up a poly fence. It takes an hour or two to put up. And then sleep easy at night or when you go on a trip. For two hives it should be cheap enough. If you put more bees there, kiss they goodbye with out it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts