Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New to bee keeping... I have two colonies. It seems the last few days, bearding in the evening has increased. It’s only May, I hate to think how bad it’ll be in July/August. I have one deep with a board with 2 vent holes leading to a super with a rapid feeder. Should I provide more shade? More ventilation? Screened bottom? Remove reduced entry? Or not worry. Sit back and enjoy the buzz?!? Picture included.
Thank you for any advise!

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
Looks like they are overheating. As suggested, expand your entrance and offer more ventilation. When it gets too hot inside, they stay on the outside as to not add to the problem.

Not a bad idea to inspect and check for cells as this could also signify pre-swarm behavior. But judging by how small your entrance is, I vote overheating.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
833 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Would be helpful to know where you are located.
In my area I would definitely pull the entrance reducer and put that away for now.
What Is the red thing in the entrance, is that the feeder you are talking about??
Do you have any type of ventilation on the hive? I run inner covers that give ventilation.

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
519 Posts
Open the entrance. Also relax, bees naturally control inside hive temperature by going outside to remove excess body heat and allow more airflow inside. As it cools they return inside and on cooler nights cluster on the lower parts inside to reduce airflow. We often over think it.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
bearding IMO is a signal of needing more air flow. So yes the advice for removing the entrance reducer is spot on.
Also agree a hive inspection may be in order. During aforementioned inspection check for combs being filled with feed, another good clue (need or do not need to feed).

GG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put the NUC (5 frame) into the 8 frame box about 4 weeks ago. After my first inspection, I noticed very little building activity on the new frames. Is it too soon to add a super with frames? I have the hive inner cover separating the deep and the feeder now. Thanks!!!

I would remove the entrance reducer and see if that reduces bearding. Also, if the box is 80% drawn out, add another box, either a second brood box or a honey super depending on your hive configuration.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
You won't add your super until they are in the mood to build and you have a good nectar flow. If they haven't drawn out the other 3 frames in 4 weeks then they won't draw out frames in a super.

Do you have a lot of stores on the 5 frames you moved into the box? How many frames is the brood nest? You may want to manipulate the frames with only food to the outsider if the box, the frames with brood in the middle, and new frames between the brood and food. We don't want to break up the brood nest but moving food to three outside opens things up so they can expand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi G3Farms!!

Me (and my girls) are located in Central Florida. Where we’re already hitting 100+ degree heat index. : ( I purchased the NUCs about 4 weeks ago and put in an eight frame box.

The red thing is a beetle trap door I purchased online. I was told, hive beetles are very bad around here. Instead of doing the swiffer trick, I installed these. So if I remove the reducer and trap, should I try any other beetle defense at the entrance? Mesh wire?

Trying to add ventilation, after my first inspection, I took the inner cover and drilled a couple big holes in it. Covered the holes with mesh wire and put a rapid feeder over the handle hole. Drilled two small holes on the super box for air flow, and placed the box on top. Then the cover. Apparently, that didn’t help.

The girls are in direct sunlight—as I was told it will help the big/mite issues. 😬

Thanks again!
Welcome to the forum!
Would be helpful to know where you are located.
In my area I would definitely pull the entrance reducer and put that away for now.
What Is the red thing in the entrance, is that the feeder you are talking about??
Do you have any type of ventilation on the hive? I run inner covers that give ventilation.
Open the entrance. Also relax, bees naturally control inside hive temperature by going outside to remove excess body heat and allow more airflow inside. As it cools they return inside and on cooler nights cluster on the lower parts inside to reduce airflow. We often over think it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi! New to bee keeping... I have two colonies. It seems the last few days, bearding in the evening has increased. It’s only May, I hate to think how bad it’ll be in July/August. I have one deep with a board with 2 vent holes leading to a super with a rapid feeder. Should I provide more shade? More ventilation? Screened bottom? Remove reduced entry? Or not worry. Sit back and enjoy the buzz?!? Picture included.
Thank you for any advise!

View attachment 63291
Put an empty super over the inner cover to provide some air space for expansion. I'd also consider an upper entrance when you super the hive after the bottom super is 80% drawn out. I also put old plastic campaign signs as awnings over the cover-it provides some shade to the front of the hive, keeping it a little cooler. Good luck

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm also in central florida and drilling 3 3/8 in holes on the back of the boxes helped immensely with bearding. I drilled them close to each other in a triangle pattern and covered them with screen. They'll still beard with the temps we've been having but not near as bad or for as long a part of the day.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
377 Posts
Hi G3Farms!!

Me (and my girls) are located in Central Florida. Where we’re already hitting 100+ degree heat index. : ( I purchased the NUCs about 4 weeks ago and put in an eight frame box.

The red thing is a beetle trap door I purchased online. I was told, hive beetles are very bad around here. Instead of doing the swiffer trick, I installed these. So if I remove the reducer and trap, should I try any other beetle defense at the entrance? Mesh wire?

Trying to add ventilation, after my first inspection, I took the inner cover and drilled a couple big holes in it. Covered the holes with mesh wire and put a rapid feeder over the handle hole. Drilled two small holes on the super box for air flow, and placed the box on top. Then the cover. Apparently, that didn’t help.

The girls are in direct sunlight—as I was told it will help the big/mite issues. 😬

Thanks again!
Can you fit 2 of those beetle entrances on your entrance. I see your point. But the beetle entrance has smaller openings which would cut down ventilation a percentage. Do you have screen bottom boards?
Also if you provide entrances anywhere else in your hive besides the beetle entrance, the beetles will get in that way.
They have another beetle entrance made for the upper chambers of your hive, it's more of a small round entrance with a cover.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Beatles can navigate those entrances no problem. Watched them do it within 5 minutes of installing the first one, returned the rest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts