Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had some cold weather here lately, down in the 20s at night. The last 3 days we have been in the 70s. I started feeding them 1:1 syrup 3 days ago as their honey stores where getting a little low. I have 3 hives lots of activity in all 3 hives. One hive for the last 3 days have been bearding, whole front of the hive covered with bees. My hives are 8 frame, one deep and one medium. Do I have a over crowded hive?

·
Registered
147 Posts
These hives are probably just fans of Duck Dynasty and wanted to show their approval....

Sorry just had that funny thought. I am sure some of the more experience beeks will give you great information.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Why don't you take a look inside? Mine were doing that and when I opened the hive things were very crowded. I added another brood box below the original and they are no longer spending the night out front. (A cluster was even on the back of the hive)

·
Registered
825 Posts
noljohn....How much have you got the entrance reduced? A traffic jam on the outside means a traffic jam on the inside, too. I would open the entrance some (I am assuming you fell into the whole "I need a mouse guard/small entrance for winter" thing??). Usually a little freedom at the entrance solves the bearding this time of year. You should have a flow starting soon, if it hasn't already! If you must feed, I would go to 2:1 sugar/water, or even granulated sugar if you think you must feed. 1:1 requires a lot more energy to dehydrate, which means they will use even more stores. JMO. See if a more generous hive opening solves the issue. The only way to know if they are over crowded is to look inside. Opening the entrance may solve the bearding.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked inside all 3 hives with the warm wx we had lately. All 3 hives looked about the same as far as how many bees I had in each. No mouse guards but I do have the entrances reduced to the smallest opening. BeesinMiami thx I didn't think of that. Now you have me wondering if they where cleaning house and plugged the entrance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts