Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall
tried uploading a picture in the jpg. but wouldn't let me, my bees are bearding and balling up a little in the center of the opening. not much, but its 98 degrees down here, and they do it around 6:30 pm, they all are out working from morning to then. was wondering if this was normal!
thanks!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yes that is quite normal. They are just like us, when it gets too hot in the house they go out on the front porch. You may see some of them faning their wings, They do that to move air thru the hive to keep the brood at a more constant temperature

·
Registered
283 Posts
Do they beard different in different warm temperatures?

This was around 8:15pm CT a few nights ago, with the temperature around 88F and no breeze.

This was tonight at the same time with temperatures around 80F and a slight breeze.

Are these typical differences or should I be concerned they swarmed?

The first pic was the very first night of having a SBB installed, the second was 4-5 days later. If that matters.

Thanks, John

P.S. This hive was set May 21st.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Bearding is perfectly normal and many colonies do it when the temps are high and the direct sun begins to set and they can get out on the porch and cool down some.

Some colonies spread out, while others may ball up a little.

They'll just sit out there for awhile and then when they get good and ready, they'll head back inside.

Amazing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all,
john V , how did you get your pictures to post, mine are in the JPG. format, is there another way to get pictures to come up? i would really like to show some pictures, and the big front porch i have for the bees, they seem to like it allot.

·
Registered
255 Posts

The first pic was the very first night of having a SBB installed, the second was 4-5 days later. If that matters.

Thanks, John

shoot, i have one hive out here that covers the front of the first deep.
i'm building a sbb for them. Put 2 supers on top to give them something to do beside lazing on the front porch.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea wolfpenfarm
i did the same thing, added 2 supers when i inspected a week ago today, the upper brood box was 70 percent full of honey, and pollen. they haven't moved up there yet, except the day i added the supers, so i hope in another 2 weeks they will have honey stored and ready to be robbed when i get back from work, hopefully at the end of july! i don't expect it to be that great, but i'm hoping for something. this is their first summer, so i hope they do well, they seem to be moving in and out allot. and working hard, does any one know if the drought for pollen or nectar is in the middle of summer, or the end?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
This is what I call "bearding" -->

Unfortunately my hives haven't bearded like this since 2008. The flow in 2009 was too short and too weak and the flow this season, 2010 was late, too weak, and has just ended early. :cry:

I think I'm going to start feeding some of my hives so they build up to the point of bearding like this -- I miss seeing it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep
now thats what i call bearding!:lpf:

·
Registered
164 Posts

This was around 8:15pm CT a few nights ago, with the temperature around 88F and no breeze.

This was tonight at the same time with temperatures around 80F and a slight breeze.

Are these typical differences or should I be concerned they swarmed?

Thanks, John

Unfortunately, using a SBB on a solid platform wont give you much advantage for ventilation. You may want to add a couple of 1 x 2" shims underneath.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well this is my first year as well, we have got our rains back, and they have quit bearding, before when the temp was hot, 98, they would beard regularly at the evening hours, since the rains and the temp back down to the upper 80's and lower 90's they have stopped. looks to be the same case with yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts