Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too am sorry to hear about Bill @ Honeymoon Apiaries. I a m 55, so it really makes you think. I have a question.I just put on two deeps on two different hives, one from a split & one from a swarm. The swarm hive does not have a sbb and they were bearding heavy. I just wondered if the queen ever goes out to cool off?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard of it.
From what I know there are three time you will find a queen outside the hive - mating flight, swarming, dead.
I haven't a lot of experience so maybe I am wrong.

Mike

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
they dont like light-thats why many are hard to spot,they hide from the light by running. good luck,mike

·
Registered
300 Posts
they dont like light-thats why many are hard to spot,they hide from the light by running. good luck,mike
:eek:t:
This is getting off topic but if you have a frame of comb that they didn't draw straight out, they built comb attached to but in parallel with the frame look for your queen there. I try to put that frame as the first frame I remove as I'm doing an inspection, or scrape it off and make them redo it. They know their home as well as you know yours, and know where the best hiding places are.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I feel that the bees on the out side this time of year are foragers.They are of age that they offer no help to the " house" hive. Let the yonger bees do their job. I'll go out on the porch.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I feel that the bees on the out side this time of year are foragers.They are of age that they offer no help to the " house" hive. Let the yonger bees do their job. I'll go out on the porch.
At this time of the year , after the honey flow they are a drain on the entire colony....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Without them the colony will die :D

Mike
:scratch:
Even if they all disapppeared, I doubt it. The youngans are soon promoted up. They generally hang out on the poarch, yea they fan a little and maybe fetch water. Mostly they eat up all the groceries then die.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
They are promoted up to what? Field bees.
I don't consider the ones that did the work welfare lol. If anything it was the youngsters that are the welfare.

So you get rid of one group of field bees to get another.
I can't see wanting to get rid of the field bees the hive has worked so hard to build - It isn't over yet, besides you'll just be wasting the hive's energy to fill their place.

Whatever - I was just putting it in the light Beaver was likening them to.

It is all opinion anyway.

Mike

·
Registered
300 Posts
They are promoted up to what? Field bees.
I don't consider the ones that did the work welfare lol. If anything it was the youngsters that are the welfare.

So you get rid of one group of field bees to get another.
I can't see wanting to get rid of the field bees the hive has worked so hard to build - It isn't over yet, besides you'll just be wasting the hive's energy to fill their place.

Whatever - I was just putting it in the light Beaver was likening them to.

It is all opinion anyway.

Mike
Sorry Mike I didn't mean to offend you. I'm sure you know this but they don't live long enough to get a watch from the railroad, and I did say after the honey flow. Also the youth is always the future, they are insects not people. Just the way it is....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm not offended. Their bugs lol.
I still believe it is a waiste of the hives energy - especially since they will just force other bees up to fill the gap.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts