Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am a little new to trapping bees so maybe you can help me with advice. Had a rather large swarm move into and onto my swarm trap yesterday. Was all looking really good until this morning I go out there and the majority of bees appear to be bearded near entrance. A huge beard! Should I give them time to see if they go in the trap on their own? Or try to scoop them into another box then get remaining frames and bees from trap? Supposed to rain alot tomorrow so I need to get this done today. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,553 Posts
Big swarm, little box? Sounds like they need a bigger place to call home.

Given tthe urgency, I would put them in a 10 frame with several drawn combs and a queen excluder UNDER the bottom box and above the bottom board. Tranfer the bees and leave the trap there for several days if possible. Make sure the queen cannot get back out, no upper entrance. Then screen the opening and take them home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a pretty decent size box. Built it last weekend, 5 frame extra deep 40 quart. By extra deep I mean probably a good 5" of empty space under frames.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Prior posters report too much swarm lure will cause them to beard outside.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I would try to hive them and hope it does rain tomorrow and for the next week. It may be a 2nd swarm or as above.
If you can get them into a hive you save a step and maybe catch another in the trap.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
It's a pretty decent size box. Built it last weekend, 5 frame extra deep 40 quart. By extra deep I mean probably a good 5" of empty space under frames.
Reads like it "should" be big enough, but that depends on the size of the swarm. More importantly, you wrote they all moved in & now are bearding (hanging outside of the box). I would try to get them into 10 frame equipment before they possibly decide to look elsewhere. Do you think the majority of the bees are outside or inside the box?;)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Big swarm, little box? Sounds like they need a bigger place to call home.

Given tthe urgency, I would put them in a 10 frame with several drawn combs and a queen excluder UNDER the bottom box and above the bottom board. Tranfer the bees and leave the trap there for several days if possible. Make sure the queen cannot get back out, no upper entrance. Then screen the opening and take them home.
I second this.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Caution; the excluder trick is situational, use only when you are sure it is a primary swarm.
The queen excluder is not a good idea later in the season when a virgin may head the swarm.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,553 Posts
Caution; the excluder trick is situational, use only when you are sure it is a primary swarm.
The queen excluder is not a good idea later in the season when a virgin may head the swarm.
Very true. I should have mentioned that as well for others reading the post. The assumption here is that this is a primary swarm due to how early it is.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Very true. I should have mentioned that as well for others reading the post. The assumption here is that this is a primary swarm due to how early it is.
I knew you did. I was thinking of later on in the rooky season of someone digging this thread up in a panic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
20190301_154535-01_1551476902935.jpg 20190301_201355-01_1551547808447.jpg So I was able to successfully move them into a 10 frame deep and relocate them to my bee yard. They appear to be doing well and have orientated and accepted the new location just fine. I'm pretty sure that the reason they didnt go into the box was due to too much swarm commander lure. You live and you learn. Still not bad for my first try. Thanks for all of the tips and advice!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Not bad?
You got the swarm to land where you could find it and reach it. 100% success in my book.

·
Registered
407 Posts
View attachment 46423 View attachment 46425 I'm pretty sure that the reason they didnt go into the box was due to too much swarm commander lure. You live and you learn. Still not bad for my first try. Thanks for all of the tips and advice!
June-bug,

Great job, and nice trap. It looks like about 10# of bees. I had exactly exactly the same experience last year - too much lure.

Incidentally, I raised the lid to look into the trap earlier the swarm arrived, and a couple dozen scout bees were zipping crazily around like they were on fire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 46423 View attachment 46425 So I was able to successfully move them into a 10 frame deep and relocate them to my bee yard. They appear to be doing well and have orientated and accepted the new location just fine. I'm pretty sure that the reason they didnt go into the box was due to too much swarm commander lure. You live and you learn. Still not bad for my first try. Thanks for all of the tips and advice!
Junebug how did you get them into the 10 frame hive body? Did you just sccop the outside bees into another box and take to the new location along with the bees from trap?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts