Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Did you do a mite treatment? Mine will do it if I treat them for mites or if there's no room. Is your super filled with new frame? Maybe their not wanting to move up for that reason.

Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I fixed it, they were a package and I had done no treatment on it. They had had filled the top super above the queen excluser with honey so I added another one. And smoked the bees inside. Hopefully they stay inside.

·
Registered
825 Posts
pannu...You sure you don't want to add another brood box before taking honey? I am not familiar with the winters in your area, but it would seem you'd want to build up the population and stores for winter before asking them to make honey for you. And with the looks of all that is blooming there, they should take off pretty quick. Your set up is exactly what I want down here...a deep for brood, then supers on an excluder, but I am in Florida. You might ask some locals what their ideal set up is for your area.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
More boxes... anywhere you want, top, bottom or middle.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beesin Miami, I like to overwinter here in singles and from personal experience, they have a higher percentage of survival and get well developed before our flows in spring. I took a nuc of another package about 3 weeks ago and they have already filled the bottom deep and a couple of frames of honey above the excluder. Wonderful arataki bees !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts