Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a good way to keep bear away from my hives? I have one particular yard that’s been hit multiple times.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
A good electric fence is usually the best approach. For remote area a solar powered installation. And a game camera to take a picture of anyone stealing the solar fencer! Just hope they dont steal the camera too!

Parmac 12 magnum is a good fencer.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I did quite a lot of research into this sine we have infrequent but possible bear visits here. Alaska has done quite a lot of research into this and I'll distill it for you.

4 Strands of wire starting about a foot off the ground and putting the top strand around 40 inches. 1 Joule charger, it takes a heckuva lot more juice to deter a bear than a horse. Once a bear has been zapped they will pay very close attention to whether a fence is charged, they can detect electricity once they are aware of it and will avoid it.

We had a grizzly come by here a month ago, right along the fence protecting my orchard and bee yard. The bear got zapped, I think, a wire was broken, and she walked the entire perimeter before ambling off. The fence paid for itself that day. I spoke with the Fish and Game guy in charge of trapping bears here and he thanked my profusely for putting the fence up, if the bear had gotten into the bees they would have had to put her down since bees are considered livestock.

I use t-posts and the extended plastic insulators. I put the fence up in late August or when the first bear sighting is around here and take it down when the bears den up. I just leave the posts and insulators in place.

I hope this helps.

Lee

·
Registered
124 Posts
I watched this video a while back before I put a fence around my hives. https://youtu.be/Sv2G-aRDvyY
what size electic box are yall using for your fence i bought the strongest one they had at tractor supply cuz i didn't know if the weaker ones would turn a bear or not.
I dont know why but I always get a smile on my face seeing something or someone jump when they get zapped by a fence even if it's me 😁

·
Registered
146 Posts
Supposedly the smell of chlorine keeps bears away (it really irritates their nose?). I bought some 3" diameter swimming pool chlorine pucks and placed them on the ground around the hives and next to them on their stands. I never had a bear bother the hives with this setup. I did this for a full year before I could install the electric fence around the hives. There were 2 bears that ravaged the surrounding neighbors' bird feeders & trash cans at least twice a week the entire year I used the chlorine. I either was lucky, or it actually worked...I don't know... but it bought me some time while I saved enough money to buy the electric fence system setup.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If bears have hit that yard several times he/she/they will probably be back even with a fence. Once they get their head through, they can push on through most fencing. Best bet is to move the yard for several years and then install fence before putting hives there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts