Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well those orange straps you get at Harbor freight paid off in spades this weekend. Farm I keep some bee's on got hit by a bear. And boy it did not just knock them over she fought to get into them. Digging holes and tearing up the grass. She drug one 75 feet and batted a 150 lb hive over 10 feet away.

Farmer called me a drove over and saw the carnage. Turned a few hives back over and stood them up. Drove back home to get some help lifting a few into the truck and sure enough a small bear wandered back into the woods as we pulled up. Of course the farmer said she would turn the electric fence that runs the property tomorrow back on. Not sure if it would have helped in the spot I am in.

This was my nuc/spits and had one pallet of full size hives.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is not a feel sorry for me. but, to use straps if you are near bears. Saved me 12 hives. The Nuc's are almost armored with those straps. The only reason I lost 2 Nuc's was I strapped 2 together. Should have individually strapped them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The straps do help, but a bear can just as easily go through the wood if they want in. FWIW, i stap all of mine after my bear encounter. they sure do like eating the brood.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not extend the fence oround my hives so I don't think it would have helped. I have never gotten hit in this yard before. But, now I know.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Those straps did help a bit. Last time a bear hit me it was nothing but splinters and piles of homeless bees left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts