Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It finally happened. So one of my yards is electrified, however the other yard being in the middle of a field in an area not very prone to bears, had just 1 hive on the very end knocked over. It appears it did not get access to any brood (only the top box was accessed as the 2 deep boxes remained propolised together), but it made off with 1 frame of honey. I am hoping the bees gave him hell for it.

I am scared now, as I still have 29 more hives in that yard that the bear will be back. I don't exactly have $ lying around to whip up another fence, but if I absolutely must I guess I have no choice but to grab a couple of electric mesh movable fences (poultry fence) as a temporary solution until I can instal something of more permanence. How quickly do you guys think this bear will return? If at all... being that it did not get any brood frames, and was likely chased off by angry bees.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It has been my experience that the bear will come back until the bees are gone.The bear learns rapidly and becomes more adept every night.You are niave if you think propolis or even straps will stop a determined bear.
It becomes a case of move them,fence them or loose them.
Save your money and go with 6 ft T posts and wire. Insulators on the outside.
You can alternate 3/4 pvc if you wish.Strong corners and good ground are a must.
Spend your money on a good charger.Parmak solar 12 is the gold standard in my area.
Bait the wires!

If it were my 29 hives,I would call in sick until I solved the problem.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
5,545 Posts
It finally happened. So one of my yards is electrified, however the other yard being in the middle of a field in an area not very prone to bears, had just 1 hive on the very end knocked over. It appears it did not get access to any brood (only the top box was accessed as the 2 deep boxes remained propolised together), but it made off with 1 frame of honey. I am hoping the bees gave him hell for it.

I am scared now, as I still have 29 more hives in that yard that the bear will be back. I don't exactly have $ lying around to whip up another fence, but if I absolutely must I guess I have no choice but to grab a couple of electric mesh movable fences (poultry fence) as a temporary solution until I can instal something of more permanence. How quickly do you guys think this bear will return? If at all... being that it did not get any brood frames, and was likely chased off by angry bees.
it will be back, just when

bees did not chase it off likely a car or person of dog or daylight caused it to move off.

could move the bees to the other yard for winter then fix this one by spring, not much foraging here any more.

you have the right idea being scared/concerned.

now today you have the least damage,, take advantage of this.

GG

·
Registered
161 Posts

What kind of area is encompassed by the 29 hives? What would be your perimeter? Leave plenty of room between fence and hives to eliminate "bear reach over". I only have 3 hives - I bought 200 feet of pos/neg net and a charger this summer (I had a bear visiting) cost around $700. T post/wire /insulators would be less expensive I'm sure but I didn't want the hassle. Haven't had any bear trouble since - but the fence "caught" a jack rabbit the other day:cry:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a bear hit a hive this spring. It just tipped over the box, ripped out the bottom screen and broke a few bottom bars (and some claw marks on the foundation). I had started putting the electric fence that night, but got lazy and didn't finish. Walked out to the hives the next day to finish up and found the bear damage. Solar powered electric fences take a bit to build a charge, so I was lucky that I had the charger sitting out, and didn't get another visit. I ran chicken wire around the hives and grounded the chicken wire. Then ran the electric wires mounted 2" from the chicken wire. Ran one wire about a foot off the ground and another about 2.5' off the ground. I cut 3-4" trees for stakes, 8' long and burred them 2' in the ground (so 6' tall). Good luck, at least its nearing the end of bear season.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
In my experience, it will be back every day, several times a day. The netted fences work, and its fast. Get one up and bait it with bacon or peanut butter
Call your game warden and know what you can do without getting in trouble. J

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I set up a T-post and braided wire fence the very next day, loaded with bacon. Have not seen any sight of the bear since, however I am sleeping much better! Ironic, my neighbor had shot 2 bears the very day before and just dropped off the bear fat for me to render, and I have my first bear strike almost the same day. Thanks for the replies, I needed a kick in the ars to get this fence up quickly

·
Registered
575 Posts

I am sure I will get some hate mail but here goes. Do you live close by your apiary? Do you get any kind of cellular signal in your apiary? If so, I suggest buying a cellular trail camera. I like the Tactacam Reveal SK. The SK comes with a lithium polymer battery, attached/removable solar charger, mount bracket, 2 straps, 6 ft. extension charge cable, and Verizion & ATT sim cards. They cost $179.99. Worth every penny in my opinion. Put the camera up so you can observe your hives. The camera will send pictures to your phone within 1 - 3 minutes of taking the picture. When you get a phone notification and picture, immediately go to your apiary with an adequate caliber firearm or you can establish the bear's habit of visiting your apiary and be there in hiding. Hopefully the bear is still there. At the appropriate instant apply the SSS principles. I use these cameras in areas that my phone shows NO cell signal or service but these cameras have huge antennas and somehow manage to get a decent cell signal. I have a soft spot for wildlife, but not when it becomes dangerous or destroys a part of my livelihood. I use these cameras primarily for the 2 legged varmints who's pictures make great primafacia evidence for obtaining a warrant. The four legged types rarely cause me problems.

·
Super Moderator
North Georgia USA Zone 7b Mutts and Carniolans in Langs.
845 Posts
I am sure I will get some hate mail but here goes. Do you live close by your apiary? Do you get any kind of cellular signal in your apiary? If so, I suggest buying a cellular trail camera. I like the Tactacam Reveal SK. The SK comes with a lithium polymer battery, attached/removable solar charger, mount bracket, 2 straps, 6 ft. extension charge cable, and Verizion & ATT sim cards. They cost $179.99. Worth every penny in my opinion.
No hate over someone doing what needs doing... Not crazy about that price! Assume that unless you have a family plan with a spare slot you would also need cell service for it?

Planning something a bit cheaper since I have wifi in my bee yard. See several outdoor wifi cameras for under $50, anyone have recommendations? For now going to order a clear dome for the indoor one I already have. Cheap Brookstone from Wallyworld. Coworker has two (inside looking out) and gets text alerts to movement and has shown me pictures of his dogs, or deer, or his wife getting home from work... Water proof box, dome, and mount it on a portable stand so I can move it closer when doing thermal treatments.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I am sure I will get some hate mail but here goes. Do you live close by your apiary? Do you get any kind of cellular signal in your apiary? If so, I suggest buying a cellular trail camera. I like the Tactacam Reveal SK. The SK comes with a lithium polymer battery, attached/removable solar charger, mount bracket, 2 straps, 6 ft. extension charge cable, and Verizion & ATT sim cards. They cost $179.99. Worth every penny in my opinion. Put the camera up so you can observe your hives. The camera will send pictures to your phone within 1 - 3 minutes of taking the picture. When you get a phone notification and picture, immediately go to your apiary with an adequate caliber firearm or you can establish the bear's habit of visiting your apiary and be there in hiding. Hopefully the bear is still there. At the appropriate instant apply the SSS principles. I use these cameras in areas that my phone shows NO cell signal or service but these cameras have huge antennas and somehow manage to get a decent cell signal. I have a soft spot for wildlife, but not when it becomes dangerous or destroys a part of my livelihood. I use these cameras primarily for the 2 legged varmints who's pictures make great primafacia evidence for obtaining a warrant. The four legged types rarely cause me problems.
In my state and many others that will get you arrested.
And what do you do with 400 lbs of dead bear?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts