Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built up two 8 frame med traps by screwing two hive bodies together with Kreg jig screws. Top entrance screwed on and bottom screwed on.
I hung them with a board screwed to the side with a hole drilled to hang on a nail. I added Lemon grass oil and queen pheromone from Brushy Mt, Some frames with old drawn comb and filled the balance with foundationless frames. Then I hung the near an old farm house with a feral colony in the wall that made it through this past winter better than my two hives that were dead outs before Christmas. This past Monday I saw more than enough bee traffic at one that I am sure that a swarm has moved in. Had to take down one bait hive I needed the hive bodies for my packages to expand. Tonight I am going to go after dark and close the entrance with some screen. Should move it to night or wait till morning. Wait how long?
When I do I will use advice from Michael Bush web site and place some leafy branches in front of
entrance to encourage re-orientation. When should inspect this hive? I have some "house keeping" to do because the trap is not hung level. And I am sure that there may be some unwanted things in the hive like ear wicks and collapsed comb from the heat.
Keith

·
Registered
180 Posts
I always move my traps at night to prevent homeless foragers. I also transfer to top bar hive that night, but might be different with frames. I shake and brush any bees remaining in the box onto the bars, and leave a gap for them to crawl into the hive. I then load new bars into the box, rebait with lemongrass oil, and put it up the next day. By the next day the bees have become acclimated to the new location and hive, so I close up the top bar gap and put a roof on. They have a 1.25" hole as an entrance, the same as the trap. I then leave them alone for at least a week before inspecting and correcting comb problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts