Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some fencers for my bee yards and I was going to get some solar panel chargers for maintaining the 12 volt deep cycle batteries. I have never owned a fencer before and was hoping someone could shed some light on what Watt solar charger is good enough to maintain a 12 volt battery hooked to a fencer ? I was thinking just a trickle charger type like a 2.5 watt 12 volt dc would do the job, but I am open for suggestions.

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
307 Posts
Many 12v solar units run 7-10 watt panels, on 14 amp hour batteries
I think much less than that and you will not maintain full charge.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
A lot of people here are fond of the Parmak 12 with a solar panel added. We had a long discussion here a month or so back that led me to look up how the Parmak works. It has two fence charge energy levels, 1.1 Joules and 3.3 Joules. Evidently it normally works at the lower power level but kicks up to the higher level if it senses that it is loaded down. Pulse rate is probably a little less than 1 per second, call it 1.2 seconds per pulse. That puts its normal power consumption at not less than .91 watts. However, you get about 4 hours of good sun on a good day and have to allow for one good day and two cloudy in most areas. By my estimate, that means you need a 16.5 watt solar panel to run it at the low power level. Looking at the panel they supply on the solar version, that's about what they've allowed.

To run at full power would take closer to 50 watts.

Years ago I had bad experience with 12 V solar fence energizers. The charging system lacked a regulator (solar charge controller). Too large a panel would over-charge the battery and burn out a fence energizer that was intended to run on a 12 V battery that was not being charged. Also, they may drain the battery more if they are not well grounded. If you rig your own, make sure you get a charge regulator to put between the solar panel and the battery so you don't make my mistakes. These are easy to find now ... was just looking at a few at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i went to tractor supply got the smallest cheapest solar charger zebra somthing was the name i used t post and insulaters with the wire with the strands of wire and rubber together it works great has already survived my first bear attack

·
Registered
5,728 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am fencing for Bear. I am looking at my options, since I have to buy 3 or 4 energizers and all the hardware, I want to get the best option possible, maybe I will get 2 different ones and see how they last... Might be better then owning a bunch of crappy fencers all the same model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts