Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live just southeast of Raleigh NC. It's pretty mild here. Been in the 60's during the day and my girls have been bringing in absolutely full baskets of extremely orange pollen(?)

Any ideas what it could bee? I've heard Goldenrod is a late bloom but in the middle of November?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's been cold here in the panhandle of Ne. and everything has frozen and is brown. On the days when it warms enough for the girls to fly they bring back baskets full of very orange also. The only things orange are the berries on the mountain ash. I don't believe they are cutting them up and bringing them in, so I too would like to know what it might be.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mine are doing the same......it's dandelions here as far as I can tell. I watched them work the neighbors yard HARD. There is NOTHING else they can get around here.....well, I have been proven wrong too many times to count!...BUT, I can't see anything else. Our DL's are a little orange right now anyway...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was looking at the chart and noticed that sycamore was listed as a pollen source.

Does any one know how available it is to honey bees?

The reason I ask is that I have several around an old pond below the house and was thinking of cutting them out to make room for Black Gum.

Should I leave them as they are?

·
Registered
854 Posts
My bees (South coast MA) have been bringing a noticeable amount of light yellow pollen during the last three days. Temps near freezing in the a.m. going up to the fifties during the day. Odd year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts