Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Queens coming, weather not cooperating to make up nucs yet. 5 Queens coming with attendants in their cages. Can I put these over a queen excluder in a queen right hive? Most banking videos show no attendants. Weather here in NH, rain, rain, rain and cold. Won't hit 60 degrees until May 3rd. What to do?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Use a big umbrella to keep the rain off you and the hives and make up the nucs is the best option, Karen... for an extra day or two you could also put fresh attendants in the cages with the queens, smear a very tiny drop of water on the cage mesh with your finger and make sure the cage candy is still reasonably soft.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I banked 40 this spring for about 6 days. Queens with attendants. In a queenless bank. Worked fine.
In the past I've kept them much longer successfully....45 days once...without any apparent problems. I use a queenless bank though.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Go buy a canopy. For the price of the queens, it could be well worth the money to get the nucs started. I think the one I just bought was $50 or $60. That is one extra pint jar of honey worth per queen. Get a fold up one like people use at farmers markets. Doesn't need to be big.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts