Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever banged out a drone layer and let them go home to a new, bred queen that's loose and not caged?

Good or bad? Leave her in the gage a day or two?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If it is a drone laying queen(because you seen the queen) just squash her and install caged queen.

Early in the day when it is warm enough for the bees to be foraging well do the following:

If it is laying workers swap that hive with a strong one. Shake all the bees out of the laying worker hive 10,20, or even 30 ft away(it doesn't really matter as long as it isn't in front of it's new location). Give that shook out hive 3 frames of brood with all stages from the strong hive you swapped it with. Leave the bees that are on those frames on them so they go into the shook out hive. Give them a caged queen the next morning.

Your queenright hive that you put in place of the laying worker hive should have plenty of bees to protect the queen when the other original workers of that spot come back home.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats pretty slick, the bangouts go home to the strong colony while the returning foragers from the strong go into the bangout's new location (old strong location). Then just intro the Q. Sounds like you could even use a colony thats behind a little bit, as long as it has the necessary brood and stages for the swap and bolster it with the bangout's going to it.

Its a laying worker, I'm just looking for a simple way to get this one back on it's feet without having to go into another one during the flow, like leaving them alone as much as I can. I really need to get some equipment back, so I might just combine on second thought, I just have this caged clipped Q I caught the other day sitting on an inner cover.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Another simple way to deal with a laying worker hive is to just shake the bees out and take your empty boxes home. That way you don't have to fool with the extra work, your strong colonies can continue to make honey and possibly swarm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts