Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1021 - 1026 of 1026 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Awesome, PETG seems like the way to go. I stopped using this ceramic spacer when I started using the 1.5“ bar vs 1“ bar. I still sandwich the bar with 1” Nylon+ Stainless fender washers which seem to help dissipate the heat more in my testing. The ceramic was expensive and took way more extra time with the build. I‘m trying to get my build process down to under 15 minutes while keeping cost as low as possible ;) btw, I get next to no heat transfer that makes its way to the housing. I‘m assuming that is due to the 1.5” bigger bar and nylon sandwich.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome, PETG seems like the way to go. I stopped using this ceramic spacer when I started using the 1.5“ bar vs 1“ bar. I still sandwich the bar with 1” Nylon+ Stainless fender washers which seem to help dissipate the heat more in my testing. The ceramic was expensive and took way more extra time with the build. I‘m trying to get my build process down to under 15 minutes while keeping cost as low as possible ;) btw, I get next to no heat transfer that makes its way to the housing. I‘m assuming that is due to the 1.5” bigger bar and nylon sandwich.
Are you using nylon on each side of the flat bar, spacing the bar off the box by a washer or are you using one on the inside of the box between the bolt head and one between the nut and flat bar on the outside?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you using nylon on each side of the flat bar, spacing the bar off the box by a washer or are you using one on the inside of the box between the bolt head and one between the nut and flat bar on the outside?
I inlay my bar to directly to the box and use one stainless washer for strength on the inside of the box. Where I use the sandwich approach is on the bowl mount to the flat bar. order from bottom of bowl: fender washer, nut, fender washer, 1” nylon washer, bar, 1” nylon washer, fender washer, nylon Insert stop nut. Heat does not seem to transfer more than one inch from that point on the bar.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I may have found some Stainless Steel tubing that is the perfect balance between strength and size. 1/4" OD with thick .049 walls. That brings the ID to just a little bigger than the 3/16 tubing.

It's all I can do to bend this with my tubing bender. I need to put a knee into it. I plan to trying to bend it with heat if I need tighter bends. I will be making my pots from 1 1/2" OD Stainless Steel dairy pipe as I have stacks of it. I will also be making solid aluminum heat sinks at least 1" thick.

Once I see if the SS tubing stays clear I'll decide if I need the tighter bends and need to keep the tubing under the band heater. That will determine which band heaters end up in my final version.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone in the group end up with some extra blue caps for the 1.25” coupling build they they might want to sell? Not ready to made a full order from the supplier yet but need some. PM me if you want to get rid of a few.

thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone in the group end up with some extra blue caps for the 1.25” coupling build they they might want to sell? Not ready to made a full order from the supplier yet but need some. PM me if you want to get rid of a few.

thanks
I am no longer looking for them. I went ahead and ordered a batch from CA Plugs

1021 - 1026 of 1026 Posts