Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been feeding two new hives while they are drawing comb. Normally they take about a quart every two days, but today went in high mode sucking down two quarts each. Went to change it out and they normally comply, but they went ballistic this time. One in the elbow and one in the eyebrow. Had to go suit up to finish. Might have to put wire over the feeder openings to stop this from happening.

Could this aggression be from resources drying up around here? I still see pollen coming in, but there is little blooming right now.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
That is why I always wear at least a veil. In any event they probably have amassed stores, Now that the flow is waning they feel the need to defend then.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Since they suddenly doubled "their" consumption and got defensive. I would look for robbing. It is possible other bees are taking that extra syrup.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be on the lookout. I do feed inside the hive. Both hives were aggressive tonight. I just happened to dodge the first hive's aggression. I haven't noticed any fighting in front of the hive. I still have an entrance reducer on both hives. About 4" open right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts