Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I quickly stuck a frame feeder in my hive, well needless to say I got stung twice on the back of my hand. I normally swell up a bit when I get stung on sensitive areas. But my hand is huge! I couldn't get any sleep it aches and itches so much(I'm not scratching it). My question is, is there anything I can do to make my swelling go down?

Thanks,
Coleman

·
Registered
315 Posts
Do you have any access to Roman chamomile or basil oil? That might help, applied with ice.

·
Registered
635 Posts
What they said! I find stungs to the back of my wrist area to swell more than any other palce I've been tagged so far. I've only managed 6 or 8 stings last season, so I have yet to say I have fully tested my reactions. It just seems odd to me to have so much swelling in a palce that isnt very sensative.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I get stung on the back of my hand, it swells up big too. It usually is swollen for 2 or 3 days. Now I use the disposable nitrile gloves, like they use at dentist or doctor's offices. If I get stung thru them its usually not very bad, and I still have the sense of touch thru them, unlike thicker gloves.

Hope the swelling goes down soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I get stung on the back of my hand, it swells up big too. It usually is swollen for 2 or 3 days. Now I use the disposable nitrile gloves, like they use at dentist or doctor's offices. If I get stung thru them its usually not very bad, and I still have the sense of touch thru them, unlike thicker gloves.

Hope the swelling goes down soon.
I wonder if the elastic pressure hampers the pumping action of the stinger. That may be a good tip. A couple of years ago I ended up with 14 stings on my left ear - blew up like Mickey Mouse for almost a week. Like the hand my doc says there is a bottle neck (ie - the wrist) that traps fluid when swollen. I would try going beyond the traditional bag of ice and try an ice bath a few times a day...and elevation. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I had similar reactions to stings a few years back. I was told by my DR. that I should drink 1/2 of the small benedryl bottle right after the sting. I tell you what, it works for me. One word of caution though, you only have about 20 minutes (max) before you start to feel very drowsy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got 4 stings to my right forearm about 2 weeks ago and it swelled for the first time ever.... The area was hot, hard and itched like mad.... The little guys sneaked in my glove...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Benadryl. And not just two tablespoons. I won’t tell you how much, but my Dad had walking pneumonia and the doc said he had two choices: hospital or Benadryl. He gave him a case of it and subscribed a half bottle twice a day. After three days dad started hacking up... well he was cured- drank the whole case! Please consult your doc!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the tips, after school get out I'm going to go try some of these... Atleast I'm excused from doing work today since I can't hold a pencil haha

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
What help me the most is neosporin ointment. The thick cream kind plus pain relief.
The swelling will go down fast and no itchy. I think the feeling of itch and pain is the
same feeling so it does the job of numbing your spots out. I'd been using this ever since
I started beekeeping. If you apply it right away then the swelling goes away very fast too.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Soak it in hot water and apple cider vinegar. The itching will stop and the vinegar will draw the venom right through the skin!
I am wondering if the vinegar is going through the skin the other way and deactivating the venom or deactivating the histamines the body is producing?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
What help me the most is neosporin ointment. The thick cream kind plus pain relief.
The swelling will go down fast and no itchy. I think the feeling of itch and pain is the
same feeling so it does the job of numbing your spots out. I'd been using this ever since
I started beekeeping. If you apply it right away then the swelling goes away very fast too.

Are you sure you dont mean hydrocortisone? Neosporin is an antibiotic ointment.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Ice cold beer does the trick for me.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Go to the emergency room and let them give you the proper cure, probably a shot. Home remedies are dangerous.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts