I had a small ball of bees just outside of one of my top bar hive for the last 2 days. There is a piece of wood slid over that I use to regulate the size of the opening and they were clustered on it. I wanted to see what was going on so I scooped up the bees and put them in a bucket. What I found really surprised me. I was expecting to find a superceded queen. The ball of bees turned out to be all drones. Underneath them was a bunch of wax moth larvae. Apparently, they were doing their best to kill the wax moth larvae but could not get to them because of the piece of wood. I did the job for them and the ball of drones has disbursed. It looks like the drones are actually doing something good in the hive.