Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading on one seed supplier's website that ball clover does well as far north as Virginia. Well the stuff on the side of the road has been there for a few years and looks pretty healthy. I do not have any bees near it though, so I have no idea if it produces in the north or not, Anyone north of Virginia have feedback?

I am in a 6a zone as is part of Virginia. Anyone at or above that zone working Ball clover?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Ball clover is a cool weather clover that should do fine in West Bath. Are you having difficulties with regular white clover? The USDA plants database has white clover doing well throughout the US. Ball clover will tolerate a shorter growing season than white. I imagine the soil requirements are pretty much the same.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I notice bees working white clover later in the morning or afternoon. They are all over wild grape vines right now. They love that stuff.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The white gets smothered in the hay, the ball clover climbs over. There are some edges that get hogged, to steep to hay.
The ball's timing looks to be in it's prime before the white comes back strong after the first cut, especially if it is dry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts