Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I in the ball park with this plan? I have about 10 single deep hive body colonies and I'm already out of supers with blown out wax. Last weekend I starting pulling out a couple of frames from the strong colonies and substitute out empty frames from the sides of the weak hives. Dropped the frames into the center of the singles. I also moved a lot of brood comb full of drones larvae and placed them along the edges of the brood pattern. Out of all the colonies, I had two that were already making wax under the sugar blocks I had in extension boxes on top. These hives are in northwest Georgia so the main honey flow is more that a month to three weeks away. Maples are finishing up and henbit/cherry trees and pear trees are coming on strong. I have medium supers with foundation ready but most of these hives are not that strong, maybe 5-7 frames were covered. I've pulled off most of the solid sugar and have been feeding 1:1 since last month. No queen cells were found but the strong hives had a lot of drones ready to hatch in the next ten days. Keep on equalizing the hives or do something else till the bees start showing more signs of new wax?

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you want all of your hives to stay equal it seems like your plane should work. Just be sure to have the supers ready because they can get ahead of you before you know it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to tap down swarming ideas since I don't have enough blown comb to checkerboard. I've got queens on order to do splits mid-month in April so it's kind of difficult right now. One other option would be to make up a queenless nuc and raise some local queens ASAP!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts