Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was originally waiting on posting this since I have not played with my blaster and seen if I can make the syphon rod work with powdered sugar at a low PSI. I figured all you would need is a small portable air tank and the blaster. Normally a small tank would not throw out a lot of baking soda but since the pressure you would need to apply the powdered sugar would be pretty low it might work.
I would be using a Harbor Freight blaster you can check out a review of one here for its proper use.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/body-paint-articles/485680-soda-blasting-budget.html

I am not in a rush to try this any time soon but I figured I would throw it out there for food for thought.

In hind sight this might be in the wrong part of the board. sorry

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Not sure I follow the logic. A soda blaster is an abrasive meant for cleaning. What do you plan on cleaning with powdered sugar?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I was originally waiting on posting this since I have not played with my blaster and seen if I can make the syphon rod work with powdered sugar at a low PSI. I figured all you would need is a small portable air tank and the blaster. Normally a small tank would not throw out a lot of baking soda but since the pressure you would need to apply the powdered sugar would be pretty low it might work.
I would be using a Harbor Freight blaster you can check out a review of one here for its proper use.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/body-paint-articles/485680-soda-blasting-budget.html

I am not in a rush to try this any time soon but I figured I would throw it out there for food for thought.

In hind sight this might be in the wrong part of the board. sorry
Are you wanting to fill empty comb for feeding/winter stores, etc.? That would be 'application'.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
interested to see how this goes. Would be easier and faster than sifting it over the super.
yep and it would be quicker as well. I know on ScientificBeekeeping.com they found out it does help somewhat to dust for might as long as you stay on top of it. I know brushy bee has a bellows duster but some are not happy with it. Although some of that may be a learning curve issue..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure I follow the logic. A soda blaster is an abrasive meant for cleaning. What do you plan on cleaning with powdered sugar?
I am not going to use soda and I am not going to try to use it on the bees if I cant get it to flow at a low rate safely. I am also still concerned about an issue that such sugar can dry out the brood.. So we are still far away from any type of application but I figured I would post it on here and see what others thought.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Ok, now I understand what you are trying to do. Atomizing powdered sugar does not seem to me to be a good application for bees. Way too much of the sugar dust is not going to end up where you want it. I am thinking you would be better off building a sifting station that you could stick the frames under and get a even light coat. Of course you would have to do them one at a time. A catch pan could collect the extra and be recycled back into the sifter.

The idea of dusting bees does not appeal to me. It makes more sense to me to get bees that can handle mites.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, now I understand what you are trying to do. Atomizing powdered sugar does not seem to me to be a good application for bees. Way too much of the sugar dust is not going to end up where you want it. I am thinking you would be better off building a sifting station that you could stick the frames under and get a even light coat. Of course you would have to do them one at a time. A catch pan could collect the extra and be recycled back into the sifter.

The idea of dusting bees does not appeal to me. It makes more sense to me to get bees that can handle mites.
All very good good points. I do agree that bees that can handle mites are the best option in the end.

I have seen the bellows system in action that brushy bee sales and the dust comes out of the top of the hive with just a few puffs. I don’t even know if blaster system is even capable of moving the dust in any way that would be useful or safe for the bees.

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
If you want to do sugar dusting there is no reason to have to dust frames one at a time. And I don't see why you need any bellows/pressure system either. Just measure some powdered sugar onto the dusting screen and brush the sugar with a paintbrush ...

Photo above and more at this thread: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?236558-Sugar-dusting-sieve

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
How does the sugar get on all the bees on the frame if it is delivered just through the space of the top bars?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
. And I don't see why you need any bellows/pressure system either.

Photo above and more at this thread: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?236558-Sugar-dusting-sieve
I would not use the term "need" but I would say quickly hitting the front entrance with just a crack in the top cover would be a bit faster than brushing the dust in. This is an IPM method that does require multiple applications over a period of time, to do what it is supposed to do.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
This is an IPM method that does require multiple applications over a period of time, to do what it is supposed to do.
If we were talking about a nuc I think you have an outside chance of it working but a fully expanded hive with multiple boxes is going to take a vacuum source at the top of the hive to draw the dust up into the top boxes. Sugar dust will kill a typical vacuum motor. I am not sure you could even get away with a vacuum source like a Rainbow that does not get 100% of the dust. However, you could feed the sugar water back to the bees.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I gotta work on this technique. We tried our first powdered sugar dusting on Sunday, just using a shaker, and got uneven distribution and no mites dropped. Mind you, the sugar roll only produced one mite, so I was not expecting a large drop. We dusted each frame directly as we inspected.

I was thinking an old-fashioned insecticide duster might work, but now I need to take a close look at the designs above.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If we were talking about a nuc I think you have an outside chance of it working but a fully expanded hive with multiple boxes is going to take a vacuum source at the top of the hive to draw the dust up into the top boxes. Sugar dust will kill a typical vacuum motor. I am not sure you could even get away with a vacuum source like a Rainbow that does not get 100% of the dust. However, you could feed the sugar water back to the bees.
You need to read the link I posted on the first page of the part one of sugar application.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts